Buttons For Your Britches

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Recently came across this feller on Instagram and what he is doing is too cool not to share. Apparently he has been a pewter button maker for re-enactors for some time, but has recently expanded into making pipe tampers. I just ordered one of his pewter .410 tampers for $19/shipped!
ImageImage
Dr Uhaha

He also makes one molded from a paper musket cartridge:
Middle Earth

Those are unique and very cool
Interesting that he reatins so much minute detail from the real deals
Dr Uhaha

Middle Earth wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:19 pm Those are unique and very cool
Interesting that he reatins so much minute detail from the real deals
Apparently for every one that is up to his standards for sale there are multiple that go back to melt. One of my buddies visited him in Michigan and told me that he puts a lot more work into these than one would think. "He's not doing it for the money."
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Those are cool but are they toxic when your tamping and drawing?
The Troll Whisperer
Dr Uhaha

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:42 pm Those are cool but are they toxic when your tamping and drawing?
:lol: I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that he is using modern pewter (lead free), but just to make sure you could demand his MSDS sheets, bills of laiding, etc.

Worst case scenario would be that there is lead in it and you can't suck on them like a lollipop.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Dr Uhaha wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:49 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:42 pm Those are cool but are they toxic when your tamping and drawing?
:lol: I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that he is using modern pewter (lead free), but just to make sure you could demand his MSDS sheets, bills of laiding, etc.

Worst case scenario would be that there is lead in it and you can't suck on them like a lollipop.
That's exactly what the Vaper's said.
The Troll Whisperer
Dr Uhaha

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:57 pm

I toured a large regional e-juice 'laboratory' once. Without going into specifics, I will say that it did not instill confidence in the safety of their products.

Probably better to stick to briar and cob pipes.
Dr Uhaha

Here are a few more tampers he has made.
That 45-70 is sweet!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Dr Uhaha wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:18 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:57 pm

I toured a large regional e-juice 'laboratory' once. Without going into specifics, I will say that it did not instill confidence in the safety of their products.

Probably better to stick to briar and cob pipes.
Most of the e-juice that was made back when it first became popular with all the tech gear and tanks was made in random households, garages and such in buckets by who the heck knows, it's not regulated by the FDA. I was mainly talking about the coils everyone said was harmless until people started croaking over it.
The Troll Whisperer