The offical comic book thread ... nuff said

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Comic books . I'd imagine they're in the decline these days and the current ones out there sure are strange , to me at least , but damn it I really dig them

Back when I was a boy I didn't get to go to the movies a lot and there wasn't Jack on tv ( the 3 channel days ) . So reading was where it was at but books didn't have pictures .. but comics did

The first comic I got was actually a stack of 5 or 6 that my ma brought home from a used book store shed frequent. It was a place where you'd bring in the books you read , you'd get credit for them and the credit would be applied to books you bought . Anyway , ma got some books one day and also brought me home a small stack of comics books . I think they were real kid stuff , like Casper and spooky , but the one that freaked me out was a back issue ( at that time ) of Adventure comics with super boy and the legion of super hero's. From that day on I asked my ma to take me to that book store if she were going
I eventually got got a good pile of them , especially when I discovered A&M Comics in Miami . I emassed a sizeable collection , many of which i sold off in the 90's sadly , though I bought great stuff for my electric guitars

Anyway , super boy , captain America, , Tarzan , avengers , green lantern , sub mariner and sgt. Fury and Rock where tbe titles that I loved . I'd snag a fantastic four sometimes cause I liked the thing . Marvel two in one featured the thing and whomever else ... that was a good comic but I didn't buy many for some reason .

The comic that turned me on to marvel comics was Marvel Triple Action ( reprints of early avengers ) .... blew my mind and introduced me to captain America

I'm just rambling . I dig comics, it was like going to a movie in your mind

I scored these yesterday ....

Any other comic folks ??
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I have a healthy stack of Lobo comics laying around somewhere.
ever forward
Bamarick

One of the greatest pleasures in a young boys life is getting to trade comic books with other young boys. Most of we young fellows couldn't afford to buy many so we just traded them around.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

I have a good amount of silver age Marvel around--notables I guess include Spiderman Wedding, XMan Mutant Wars, first appearance of Machine Man. Excelsior!
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I loved comics as a kid, and had boxes and boxes of'em. I had everything, too...even the scary ones from way back in the day. Can't remember the titles of those scary ones, though. But I had loads of Nick Fury and His Howling Commandos, Rawhide Kid, plus the requisite super hero books. If I had'em today they'd be worth a fortune!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Bamarick wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:12 pm One of the greatest pleasures in a young boys life is getting to trade comic books with other young boys. Most of we young fellows couldn't afford to buy many so we just traded them around.
Comics were the motivation behind me starting to work . I collected. Golf balls off the golf courses ( woods and canals ) and sold them to golfers in the neighborhood. That and washing neighbors cars . Sometimes id have a super killer day and bring in 4 or 5 bucks... and that bought comics and a Charleston Chew , 100,000 dollar bar etc
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:01 pm I loved comics as a kid, and had boxes and boxes of'em. I had everything, too...even the scary ones from way back in the day. Can't remember the titles of those scary ones, though. But I had loads of Nick Fury and His Howling Commandos, Rawhide Kid, plus the requisite super hero books. If I had'em today they'd be worth a fortune!
Rawhide Kid! I have a couple of those! Two Gun Kid as well! And Shang-Chi: Master Of Kung Fu!
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:01 pm I loved comics as a kid, and had boxes and boxes of'em. I had everything, too...even the scary ones from way back in the day. Can't remember the titles of those scary ones, though. But I had loads of Nick Fury and His Howling Commandos, Rawhide Kid, plus the requisite super hero books. If I had'em today they'd be worth a fortune!
Man , yer kill in me . I really liked the scary comics and if I brought them home my ma would go through them and throw our the scary ones ! God she pissed me off when she did that . Sometimes I'd sneak them by her but a day or two later they'd be gone, so I'd go through the trash can and get them out , lol !!!
You're lucky that your folks didn't take those from you .... here's some titles I wanted ...

Weird war ... by farvthe coolest freaking " scary " comic . Ma saw skeletons and ghosts etc .,.. and she just yanked them and said ... " no John, these are no good for your mind " .

The witching hour
Unknown solider
Beware
Chamber of darkness .... great title name , lol

Hell, marvel came out with Son of Satan , which I thought was too much and it never interested me but I told ma about it and how I didn't want to read it . Ma and I had a ghost rider discussion too ... I lost . Ghost rider is really really cool

Ya know what sucks . As a kid before I discovered a comic book store , I was getting what was at the book store when I saw any and the drug store . Those nasties atvthe drug store in Miami didn't carry western titles , I saw a kid colt outlaw and snagged it . I saw a rawhide kid once there . Either it was rare or someone showed up and wiped them out before I got there . I had very few western comics

If you like western comics , the best I've ever read , by a light year , are the old hopalong Cassidy comics ... they're like western detective comics , really great
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

You scored one of the worst and one of the best Silver Age Legion stories. Long live the Legion!
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:55 pm You scored one of the worst and one of the best Silver Age Legion stories. Long live the Legion!
Lol , it's true . The chicks in quarantine issue was really a super girl issue . But hey , I'd do her , even if she is a blonde