Ask me anything

Sheridan

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:18 pm
Sheridan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:26 am What would be the best Peterson pipe to use in a ‘slow smoking competition?’ (Serious question! Lol)
Never been to a slow smoke event before, this Saturday the London pipe club have the prestigious & priceless ‘Peterson Cup’ up for grabs. Thinking of driving down there & snatching the cup from under the city slickers noses! 8-)

As I’ve never ‘competed’ before, help & advice is imperative in order to win the cup.
Apparently, they give you 3g of tobacco & 5min to sort yourself out, load & light your pipe. Trying to envisage what 3g of tobacco looks like & what pipe would work best.

I’m thinking of using one of the following;
106 (large billiard).
309 ( tall, narrowish bowl).
20s (bent billiard/brandy).
11s ( slightly larger than the 20s).

What would be the ‘Pete to Beat’ so to speak?
Any other advice or tips, would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers! :thumbs:
Take the one that you know smokes the best. In a regular slow smoke contest I believe you're also given 2 matches to light with. 3g of tobacco is probably based on a chamber that's 3/4" wide x 1.5" deep. My brain isn't working in metric this morning so you'll have to do the conversion yourself :lol:
20mm X 40mm….or thereabouts. Trouble is, all the above pipes smoke pretty good. Tobacco will make a big difference I suppose, to what chamber will work best. I’ll probably end up taking all my petersons, when I find out what tobacco they’re providing, I’ll opt for the most suitable pipe then.
Just need to smuggle in an invisible lighter to guarantee victory.
Something ‘James Bondish’ concealed in a signet ring perhaps? Lol
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Sheridan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:55 pm
Sheridan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:26 am What would be the best Peterson pipe to use in a ‘slow smoking competition?’ (Serious question! Lol)
Never been to a slow smoke event before, this Saturday the London pipe club have the prestigious & priceless ‘Peterson Cup’ up for grabs. Thinking of driving down there & snatching the cup from under the city slickers noses! 8-)

As I’ve never ‘competed’ before, help & advice is imperative in order to win the cup.
Apparently, they give you 3g of tobacco & 5min to sort yourself out, load & light your pipe. Trying to envisage what 3g of tobacco looks like & what pipe would work best.

I’m thinking of using one of the following;
106 (large billiard).
309 ( tall, narrowish bowl).
20s (bent billiard/brandy).
11s ( slightly larger than the 20s).

What would be the ‘Pete to Beat’ so to speak?
Any other advice or tips, would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers! :thumbs:
Take the one that you know smokes the best. In a regular slow smoke contest I believe you're also given 2 matches to light with. 3g of tobacco is probably based on a chamber that's 3/4" wide x 1.5" deep. My brain isn't working in metric this morning so you'll have to do the conversion yourself :lol:
20mm X 40mm….or thereabouts. Trouble is, all the above pipes smoke pretty good. Tobacco will make a big difference I suppose, to what chamber will work best. I’ll probably end up taking all my petersons, when I find out what tobacco they’re providing, I’ll opt for the most suitable pipe then.
A super duper decoder ring would come in clutch! :lol: I'd suggest you geek out for a few days and work on your top contenders with some tobacco that's notoriously hard to keep lit. Or perhaps slip something into your opponents beverage
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Sheridan

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:03 pm
Sheridan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:55 pm

Take the one that you know smokes the best. In a regular slow smoke contest I believe you're also given 2 matches to light with. 3g of tobacco is probably based on a chamber that's 3/4" wide x 1.5" deep. My brain isn't working in metric this morning so you'll have to do the conversion yourself :lol: 8-)
:thumbs:
A super duper decoder ring would come in clutch! :lol: I'd suggest you geek out for a few days and work on your top contenders with some tobacco that's notoriously hard to keep lit. Or perhaps slip something into your opponents beverage
Hmm…..sneaky, I like it!! Lol
The smoke off is being held in a pub…….ample opportunity to slip a ‘Mickey Finn’ in the opponents drinks. :lol:
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Sheridan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:59 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:03 pm
Sheridan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:55 pm :thumbs:
Hmm…..sneaky, I like it!! Lol
The smoke off is being held in a pub…….ample opportunity to slip a ‘Mickey Finn’ in the opponents drinks. :lol:
That's a championship mindset!
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
ever forward
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

arturo7 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:26 pm What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
That kind of talk isn't allowed here :lol: :lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ronv69
Founding Member

God and Texas!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ronv69 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:41 pm Should I buy this?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 7S9Ucbxw6v
Hell yeah! Especially if you have an old jukebox to match
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Its your birth year ashtray ... why not :lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

That thing is cool!
ever forward