Pipe Lighting with a Zippo

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Check your wick . If it's too short or too long , it can be weird . I like mine centered in the circle . Also , when the Zippo pipe lighter is totally juiced up fresh , the flame can seem to have a mind of it's own .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

I use a Zippo with pipe insert in all situations except when I am in my pickup. In my pickup I use a Bic because there is a place in my console that accepts one perfectly, and I don't want to fiddle into my pocket while driving.

As Ruff mentioned above, you have to trim the wick properly for a good flame - about the middle of the chimney. I haven't found a cleaner burning fuel than the Zippo brand fluid. I don't use Ronsonol or Coleman lantern fuel. Pretty sure Ronsonol is to blame for some of the complaints about taste people have when using a Zippo.
Searock Fan

The age old debate!!! It's simple, liquid lighter fuel affects the taste of the tobacco. And it ain't good....
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I used a Zippo pipe lighter for a short while and didn't much care for it. The standard Zippo is my flame of choice and has been since Moby Dick was a minnow. I use Coleman fuel too, which shows what a cheapskate I am. Matches would be great if they only would stay lit outside. Butane sucks. Probably because of the cheap knockoff lighters I tried it in. Butane Bics are an exception. they work pretty good while they last.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

So, how does one fill up a Zippo with Coleman fuel?
ever forward
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

arturo7 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:01 pm So, how does one fill up a Zippo with Coleman fuel?
I have a syringe I use. An eye dropper would work too.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:24 pm
arturo7 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:01 pm So, how does one fill up a Zippo with Coleman fuel?
I have a syringe I use. I keep it in a special metal case a local gunsmith made for me. It is locked in my wall safe behind the picture in my bedroom, the picture with the steer horns mounted over it. This syringe was given to me by an old Apache chief who was laid up in the pokey with an infected snake bite on his ankle. It was in a town you've never heard of, the kind of place where the tumbleweeds outnumber the people. As he lay dying, he handed his syringe to me, probably because I was the only one there, I suppose, and this dying Apache told me to use it wisely. "This is only for Coleman fuel," he said before his eyes went glassy and dead. I have honored his wishes to this day.

An eye dropper would work too.
The unedited version.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have a funnel and refill a Ronsonol container. It is easy to pop the top off and then snap it back on.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I have never owned a Zippo . . . always considered them a cigarette lighter.

Perhaps I should give one a try. Perhaps a slim model.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .