Fig Newtons

Riff89

So I was caught up in a thread derailment earlier. In the course of conversation fig Newton’s came up. I love the damn things I don’t eat them often and I can honestly say I haven’t had one in about a year or so. But I think it’s better that way because they are a treat for me. sometimes my wife would bring me home a package of them (when she still liked me) and I would literally be as happy as a kid on Christmas morning. I will mention that the generic brands are not the same!! They are too dry and the fig filling isn’t near as good. I mentioned them to someone when we were talking about cookies and they said that they were nasty. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Anyway any of you guys like fig Newton’s?
Middle Earth

Big fan
Have to steer clear for my own good
Tsal
Forum Decorum

They're no Mallowmars but I like them.
The Troll Whisperer
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Fan! They had an Apple Newton for a while that was dynamite too. And yes, the generic brands tend to be dryer and nowhere near as good.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Give me Fig Newtons or give me death.
vwdeano

Agreed. I seem to rarely have them, and I'm one that now has to "watch my sugar". but when I do have them, they are dandy!
A dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself.
fingall
Member in Good Standing

I'm a fan. Haven't had them in a while but I'm not sure why. I'm going to get some today now that you mentioned it. My only wish is that they'd put more fig in the middle. I really like the ones filled with apricot too.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

fingall wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:20 am I'm a fan. Haven't had them in a while but I'm not sure why. I'm going to get some today now that you mentioned it. My only wish is that they'd put more fig in the middle. I really like the ones filled with apricot too.
For real they apricot Newtons? I love apricot. I love the fruit, the juice, jams and jellies and when I snuffed it McChrystals Apricot I turned to most often. And the are legit Newtons, not a knockoff?
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Tsal
Forum Decorum

If you heat up apricot jam to liquify it, it makes a great glaze for chicken.
The Troll Whisperer
fingall
Member in Good Standing

I just searched for them and it looks like they were maybe discontinued? (shows you how long it's been since I've bought them). Actually, and I didn't remember this either, they were sweet peach and apricot newtons made by Nabisco. Sorry I your hopes up.