Newbie from Ohio

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Marine3313 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:01 am Thanks all. Not gonna quit. I like the idea of buying small samples and such. Question. I thought my pipe was done so I dumped it out but there was still unsmoked tobacco in the bottom. Do I save that or just dump out as well? Does the shape of pipe affect its flavor?
I usually don't smoke my pipe down to ash. I toss it and I suggest you do too. There's no saving it.

As for pipes and flavor, let the pipe tell you what it likes best and stick with the pairing, be it types or styles of tobacco or a particular blend. It was advise I took to heart years ago and it has yet to be proven wrong.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Marine3313 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:44 pm Hello all 46 year old white male trying to get into pipes. I am a Marine Corp Veteran and I somewhat think I know what I’m doing but In reality I have no clue. Sometimes I can get my pipe to light and sometimes not. I have a little taste but I’m really after that WOW taste. I’ve only been smoking for 1 month and so far I have tried Boswells berry cobbler tobacco. What do I need to do to get that wow that taste is unbelievable weather it means trying a different tobacco or not.
Ps don’t know the difference In English blend and all that. Please help. I live near Chillicothe Ohio. Would like to meet and learn. Thanks again.
What pipes do you have now, Richard? Which do you enjoy most?
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Marine3313 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:01 am Thanks all. Not gonna quit. I like the idea of buying small samples and such. Question. I thought my pipe was done so I dumped it out but there was still unsmoked tobacco in the bottom. Do I save that or just dump out as well? Does the shape of pipe affect its flavor?
I have dumped just the ash and then smoked what was left in the bottom. Typically this is if I put a pipe down and find it later.

The bowl interior dimensions and the shape of that - tapered, wide/narrow have some impact, but it takes a while to appreciate the nuance. I claim most people who claim to make a big deal out of it just watched a couple of Youtube videos from people who maybe don't actually smoke much. I would suggest that packing and pace are (a lot) more important.

Other people here might have different opinions, and I am not going to argue with them. That taste business is pretty subjective.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Marine3313

I just have a Peterson Dracula which I bought cause it looks great. It smokes good too. I have 2 corncobs and one other that has no name it looks like a drug store pipe you could buy years ago. I have another question. If I pack my bowl and I think the draw is ok but find it’s too open. Can I push more tobacco on top and press firmly or dump and re try? Thanks again all. You all are great mentors to this newbie.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Marine3313 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:58 pm I just have a Peterson Dracula which I bought cause it looks great. It smokes good too. I have 2 corncobs and one other that has no name it looks like a drug store pipe you could buy years ago. I have another question. If I pack my bowl and I think the draw is ok but find it’s too open. Can I push more tobacco on top and press firmly or dump and re try? Thanks again all. You all are great mentors to this newbie.
Super, That helps me decide on what to send you. By the way, what do you think of trying a meerschaum pipe? It will come in handy when March Meer Madness rolls around! Or maybe just a good ol' dependable briar?

If it feels too open just tamp it down a little, not to too hard though. You can add tobacco to it but you don't have to. One thing you should remember is that with pipe smoking there is no "right" or "wrong"...It's all about what works for you!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Marine3313

I would love to try a meerschaum pipe. WOW Thank you. I will try and tamp lighter. I have packed too tight and like you all say it’s a trial and error. Lol. I can’t thank you all enough for the help I received on here. I have come so far. I’m super glad I found this place. I have been looking in the trading post for a freehand but no luck yet. I’ll find one. Again I must say thank you.