I need help

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ronv69 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:14 pm Ya know, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought, Yep!
:lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

:lol:
Ronv69 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:14 pm Ya know, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought, Yep!
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Like others say, angle is the trick. I use a combination stone, diamond steel and leather, a little water goes a long way. Scalpel-y sharp.
Having issues again posting pics.
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

It arrived today. I just got home from a rehearsal for a jam this coming Wednesday ... It arrived at 430 pm . Nothing has ever gotten here that quickly .. ever . Its freaky . Its near 10 pm and I might start messing with it
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

So far I hate this F,ing thing , just saying
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:41 pm So far I hate this F,ing thing , just saying
Clamp / angle / pivot set ups take a little getting used to. In my wicked edge I usually run a blue or red sharpie on the cutting edge before clamping it in. Once everything is set up take one swipe with the stone and see how it sits on the angle / if it follows the cutting edge even. If so, go for it. If not, adjust and repeat the sharpie etc
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:57 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:41 pm So far I hate this F,ing thing , just saying
Clamp / angle / pivot set ups take a little getting used to. In my wicked edge I usually run a blue or red sharpie on the cutting edge before clamping it in. Once everything is set up take one swipe with the stone and see how it sits on the angle / if it follows the cutting edge even. If so, go for it. If not, adjust and repeat the sharpie etc
I need to look for more videos . Thing is , I bought it to sharpen knives that are dull , All the videos ive seen so far are on already sharp knives and are more a demonstration on how to use it

For example , I got this Winchester " 110 " knock off that I like for work . Its dull because Ive used the hell out of it . Now , I can get it sharp enough and take it to work and Im good but I want to get it very sharp . So , if its dull and I dont know the degree angle , I guess I can pick a degree and shape it ,, I would think . So I choose 18 degrees and I can get the knife sharper that I can with this thing . I look at each side of teh edge and they are even at 18 .. then I use the other two finer grits and it just doesnt get sharp . Im doing something wrong or this thing blows . Arrgh :lol:
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:11 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:57 pm
I need to look for more videos . Thing is , I bought it to sharpen knives that are dull , All the videos ive seen so far are on already sharp knives and are more a demonstration on how to use it

For example , I got this Winchester " 110 " knock off that I like for work . Its dull because Ive used the hell out of it . Now , I can get it sharp enough and take it to work and Im good but I want to get it very sharp . So , if its dull and I dont know the degree angle , I guess I can pick a degree and shape it ,, I would think . So I choose 18 degrees and I can get the knife sharper that I can with this thing . I look at each side of teh edge and they are even at 18 .. then I use the other two finer grits and it just doesnt get sharp . Im doing something wrong or this thing blows . Arrgh :lol:
18 degrees is definitely a good choice. Especially for a working knife (in my opinion anyway) I wonder if it's not knocking the burr off that the stones are putting on the edge. Maybe drag it across a strop a couple of times and see if it helps
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

You don't need gimmicks and gadgets to sharpen a blade. You can staple a sheet of sandpaper to a 2x4 and get great results. The modern world over complicates everything.
The Troll Whisperer
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:33 am
You don't need gimmicks and gadgets to sharpen a blade. You can staple a sheet of sandpaper to a 2x4 and get great results. The modern world over complicates everything.
Sheet of sandpaper on a mousepad works way better than it sounds like it should.

@Ruffinogold , you oughta visit a couple bushcraft forums. Those guys post lots of videos and tutorials. Like, every member is an amateur film student or something