Weber Resto

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

rekamepip wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:04 pm Note that The shellac dries quickly and will show finger prints so I use an ink pen or drill bit to put into the stem hole so that you can prop it up to dry overnight without it sticking to table surface

The use of olive oil towel helps give you time to wipe off excess shellac and spread more evenly and also allows you that extra 30 seconds window opposite to insert the drill bit or whatever you use to prop it up on
Here's another reason I leave the stem on. This Mastercraft was refinished five minutes ago, it'll hang there until tomorrow. It's no problem to seperate the stem when dry and wipe shellac off of vulcanite, though acrylic stems I wrap with electrical tape since I don't use alcohol on them. Or really use them at all.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Ok. Ill give it a go tonight. But before i do... Denatured or isopropol?

And thanks for all the compliments and suggestions. I definitely dont want the toy shine. I like the way the shellbrook looks in the pic, but it is much more matte in person. Im going for that look on both. So ill cut the shellac pretty thin.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Wildcrow wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm Ok. Ill give it a go tonight. But before i do... Denatured or isopropol?
I just use 91% isopropyl because there's always a bottle here, either is fine.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Wildcrow wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:37 pm Here are some halfway pics. Cake is gone, rim scrubbed, and stem "polished" according to my understanding of thw @Thelonious monkfish method. Whiskey soaked pipe cleaners pass clean, airways opened up, and latakia funk killed.

Great job bringing those back to life!
The Troll Whisperer
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Wildcrow wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm Ok. Ill give it a go tonight……..
:lurk:
Wildcrow
Founding Member

rekamepip wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:58 am
Wildcrow wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm Ok. Ill give it a go tonight……..
:lurk:
You know those whiskey soaked pipe cleaners? They soaked up the whole entire bottle lol. Im going to do it today at work. Rain=down time.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Just for fun.
This was the third pipe in the bundle. And im completely redoing the rustication.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Two coats of shellac. I like it shiny like this. They will need to dry, so im thinking about leaving them to hang for a while.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Wildcrow
Founding Member

And for spits and wiggles. The no-name i rusticated. Im sure you can guess which rustication i imitated. I want this one to to look high gloss.