Oxidized Stems

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Lostdog5152 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:42 am
Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:50 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:51 pm
Some stems are made with lower grade Vulcanite that oxidizes faster due to sulphur content, and some people have a body chemistry that seems to oxidize them. I have had pipes where the stem starts oxidation from just one use and currently have pipes where the stem has never shown a trace despite years of use. I've always preferred Vulcanite but have taken to Cumberland type stock, colored Ebonite, almost specifically. All the comfort of Vulcanite with a splash of color and they appear more resistant to oxidizing.
We like those stems made out of Kraut tank track!
I read about this repurposed tank tread somewhere before. I thought it was urban legend. Is it for real? Who used it?
It's real and Grabow used it and others did I'm sure. Here's an excerpt of something Tom Douglas, former Grabow president, wrote to me. There is more out there, but I'd have to hunt for a while. Here's Tom:

"The bulldog has a German bit which is almost indestructable. In the late 30's Hitler wanted a material for vehicle tires and tank tread. One was made from vulcanite and a plastic of the day. Didn't work for vehicles because it was so hard that a light rain was like ice. Tank tread just busted off.
Some genius started making pipe stems from it and they are fantastic. Never oxadize, will barely mark. Wish I had a hundred more, but only 4.. ted"
FJB
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

I sent off half a dozen of so pipes to Walker Repair and had all the pipes hit with the ozone treatment. In my experience the Ozone did nothing to rid the nasty ghosts in the pipes I sent him. I know a little something about Ozone machines as I ran the original one I bought for 365 7 days a week for 20 straight years. It got r rid of the smell in my pool hall quite well.

I was really looking forward to getting fresh tasting pipes back from Walker and everyone was still ghosted. I never contacted him to complain, I will just never use him again and I will tell whoever asks what my experience was using him. He also made a stem for a broken pipe and that was not very well done either.
Harris
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

cigrmaster wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:22 am I sent off half a dozen of so pipes to Walker Repair and had all the pipes hit with the ozone treatment. In my experience the Ozone did nothing to rid the nasty ghosts in the pipes I sent him. I know a little something about Ozone machines as I ran the original one I bought for 365 7 days a week for 20 straight years. It got r rid of the smell in my pool hall quite well.

I was really looking forward to getting fresh tasting pipes back from Walker and everyone was still ghosted. I never contacted him to complain, I will just never use him again and I will tell whoever asks what my experience was using him. He also made a stem for a broken pipe and that was not very well done either.
Is he still the original guy? I seem to recall he died and someone took over the business. I could be totally wrong. The only thing I ever bought from his is a forever stem for a cob.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Woodrow1953

Walker Pipe repair is still around, and the original owner has retired. Mike Meyers is the new manager. They have an excellent concoction that you can use to rub down the stem. It’s slightly gritty but the stuff is great. Then a light application of carnuba.

If the stem is severely oxidized sanding pads can be used. You can pick them up at a lot of woodworking stores. A set has various grits and they work very well.

http://walkerpiperepair.com/index.html
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson