Ash: To Tamp, Or To Dump, Or...Both?

Riff89

:lurk:
Tsal wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 am
Piping Abe wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:16 am I am usually smoking outdoors or in the car. So my ash is always flying out of my pipe or ends up on my lap. I usually tamp when I need to, then dump the ash if it feels loose. If the tamp is still stiff, I wont dump. But I always almost ash my pipe, or else the ashes will fly around in the wind. I use a car ashtry I got from The Pipery last year. It is my most used Christmas gift ever. Too bad they are out of stock.

Do those hooks keep your pipe stable or does it flop around. Pretty neat.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:16 am I am usually smoking outdoors or in the car. So my ash is always flying out of my pipe or ends up on my lap. I usually tamp when I need to, then dump the ash if it feels loose. If the tamp is still stiff, I wont dump. But I always almost ash my pipe, or else the ashes will fly around in the wind. I use a car ashtry I got from The Pipery last year. It is my most used Christmas gift ever. Too bad they are out of stock.

After one year of use everyday it performs flawlessy. The magnet on the side holds a czech tool. The spring/hook can hold all my pipes securly. Even bents and diamond shanks.

What it really is: an ozark trail mug with a 3D printed contraption on top. Spring, hook(with rubber) and magnet.

It can definately be made yourself if you have the capabilities. But this the answer for pipe smoking in the car for me. It really has changed my life. Worth every penny.

Now cigar smoking, I use a Cigar Bobken. But the ash always falls on my lap at some point so thats rare I smoke a cigar in the car.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I will add, car ash tray from the pipery does not work with Falcons. Those I slip the stem under something, usually my lunchbox, in my passenger seat.
Riff89

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:11 pm

After one year of use everyday it performs flawlessy. The magnet on the side holds a czech tool. The spring/hook can hold all my pipes securly. Even bents and diamond shanks.

What it really is: an ozark trail mug with a 3D printed contraption on top. Spring, hook(with rubber) and magnet.

It can definately be made yourself if you have the capabilities. But this the answer for pipe smoking in the car for me. It really has changed my life. Worth every penny.

Now cigar smoking, I use a Cigar Bobken. But the ash always falls on my lap at some point so thats rare I smoke a cigar in the car.
That would be pretty handy. I usually just set them up on the dash of my truck where they inevitably tip over and spill ash on the dash. I mean it’s not a huge deal I clean my work truck every year so it’s not like I accumulate that much ash and Dottle lol.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Riff89 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:34 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:11 pm

That would be pretty handy. I usually just set them up on the dash of my truck where they inevitably tip over and spill ash on the dash. I mean it’s not a huge deal I clean my work truck every year so it’s not like I accumulate that much ash and Dottle lol.
Pipe is in my maw when driving my pickup (there is no smoking in Mrs Cats car). When I arrive at my destination, I too put my pipe on the dash or bench seat armrest caddy and hope for the best when I shut the door! But these cup holder gizmos are really really 😎!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Tsal wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:02 am
Lostdog5152 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:55 am Here is some ash dumpingg advise from an old experienced smoker. Ashtrays are not made as available as they once were in this anti-smoking era. If you are standing unattended on your hosts carpet with no potted plants or flower vases around tamp by all means. Its only good manners. An umbrella stand is never a good idea due to the flamables contained therein. Unless, of course, you urinate in it first. It is appropriate to use a fireplace to dump ash if available. Even if its electric it only adds to the authnticity and your host will surely appreciate it. Open drawers and behind books work in extreme cases where a return visit is not anticipated. If asked to extenguish your pipe never put it in your pocket like Basil Rathbone in those old Sherlock Holmes movies. If you do, The old axiom "Drop and roll" should immediately come to mind. A fishtank or any available drink not containing 151 proof rum can serve a multitude of purposes either in extinguishing you or your pipe. I hope this helps.
I knew a girl once who urinated in a champagne bucket in a packed night club. This was back when smoking was still acceptable indoors.
Why?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

mrpipster wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:32 pm
Lostdog5152 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:55 am Here is some ash dumpingg advise from an old experienced smoker. Ashtrays are not made as available as they once were in this anti-smoking era. If you are standing unattended on your hosts carpet with no potted plants or flower vases around tamp by all means. Its only good manners. An umbrella stand is never a good idea due to the flamables contained therein. Unless, of course, you urinate in it first. It is appropriate to use a fireplace to dump ash if available. Even if its electric it only adds to the authnticity and your host will surely appreciate it. Open drawers and behind books work in extreme cases where a return visit is not anticipated. If asked to extenguish your pipe never put it in your pocket like Basil Rathbone in those old Sherlock Holmes movies. If you do, The old axiom "Drop and roll" should immediately come to mind. A fishtank or any available drink not containing 151 proof rum can serve a multitude of purposes either in extinguishing you or your pipe. I hope this helps.
I knew a girl once who urinated in a champagne bucket in a packed night club. This was back when smoking was still acceptable indoors.
Why?
The line to the ladies room was probably too long.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:38 pm
Why?
That was my guess but,maybe there is a wild story about it.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Why?
She was drunk and didn't want to crawl to the bathroom. When we all left as soon as she got outside and that fresh air hit her she tossed her cookies too...:lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

mrpipster wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:49 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:38 pm

Why?
That was my guess but,maybe there is a wild story about it.
Girls, booze and packed loud nightclubs are always a wild time.
The Troll Whisperer