Latest Pipe Purchase 2022

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Silver wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:42 pm
Big Iron wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:56 pm
Silver wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:40 pm Spent some time in the workshop last week and finished this one on Saturday. It's a little, rusticated pot with smooth rim, bowl edge and shank end. Similar to the Christmas pipes I made recently. This one's stain russet (more brown with a touch of red) and and natural rim, bowl edge and shank end. This one will get a mating 1/4 bent billiard with sloped rim. Hope to get that one finished tomorrow.

That is really something else @Silver , an absolutely gorgeous pipe. How long have you been making pipes?
Thanks! I did a kit block in March-ish of 2021 that was a Christmas gift in 2020 from my daughter and son-in-law. Then I got interested in doing another in January of this year. Got a few more pre-drilled blocks and better files. As they started to look more like real pipes, I started buying blocks (and tools) and doing the whole thing on my own (probably around April this year).
I was going to ask if you were doing your shaping by hand or if you have a lathe etc
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Silver
Certified Codger

I don't have a lathe. Drill press for the bowl and airway and mortise, and tenon on the stem. Scroll saw for cutting the rough form. Shaping with a sanding disc on a right angle grinder mounted to my work bench. Files, sandpaper, and bad language for finishing. The first few pipes I made were shaped with just file and sandpaper. Took a long time.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Silver wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:18 pm I don't have a lathe. Drill press for the bowl and airway and mortise, and tenon on the stem. Scroll saw for cutting the rough form. Shaping with a sanding disc on a right angle grinder mounted to my work bench. Files, sandpaper, and bad language for finishing. The first few pipes I made were shaped with just file and sandpaper. Took a long time.
That's how urquiza started pipe carving too. All hand tools. And in my opinion he's become one of the best out there
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Silver wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:18 pm I don't have a lathe. Drill press for the bowl and airway and mortise, and tenon on the stem. Scroll saw for cutting the rough form. Shaping with a sanding disc on a right angle grinder mounted to my work bench. Files, sandpaper, and bad language for finishing. The first few pipes I made were shaped with just file and sandpaper. Took a long time.
That is all you really need but i would suggest a dremel and a few different bits for rusticating as an added fun factor
Silver
Certified Codger

rekamepip wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:06 am
That is all you really need but i would suggest a dremel and a few different bits for rusticating as an added fun factor
Oops! Forgot about my Dremel. That's how I do my rusticating.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Not a Purchase. Did a Secret Santa and my Secret Santa was J. Everett. He sent me some great tobacco’s to try but he also made me a pipe. I couldn’t be more happier and thankful. He said the band is suppose to represent a Blue Spruce. So with all that, i’m declaring this my J. Everett Christmas Pipe. 4 Christmas Pipes in one year. And I only wanted 1. :king:

ImageImageImage
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:30 pm Not a Purchase. Did a Secret Santa and my Secret Santa was J. Everett. He sent me some great tobacco’s to try but he also made me a pipe. I couldn’t be more happier and thankful. He said the band is suppose to represent a Blue Spruce. So with all that, i’m declaring this my J. Everett Christmas Pipe. 4 Christmas Pipes in one year. And I only wanted 1. :king:

ImageImageImage
That's awesome. He makes a great looking pipe and that's right up there with his best
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:30 pm Not a Purchase. Did a Secret Santa and my Secret Santa was J. Everett. He sent me some great tobacco’s to try but he also made me a pipe. I couldn’t be more happier and thankful. He said the band is suppose to represent a Blue Spruce. So with all that, i’m declaring this my J. Everett Christmas Pipe. 4 Christmas Pipes in one year. And I only wanted 1. :king:

ImageImageImage
That's awesome!
Silver
Certified Codger

ImageImageImage
Just WOW!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I was looking at Peterson house pipes and then I was not. Usually I buy myself a new pipe at the end of the year but I lost interest with that impulse. Oh well.
The Troll Whisperer