Latest Pipe Purchase 2022

Puff nstuff

@Wildcat, @Silver, and @Thelonious monkfish - thank you all for the suggestions - especially the warning against using heat! I did notice the stem feeling sort of plasticky and not like a vulcanite material. I could probably live with it cleaned up and filled, that's a good idea. I could also use the stem from my Medico offer pipe - it's got the same metal push-in filter tenon. Or maybe I'll send away for another Medico mail offer pipe and throw in a few bucks for an extra stem.

Thanks again, guys. :thumbs:
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Puff nstuff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:54 pm @Wildcat, @Silver, and @Thelonious monkfish - thank you all for the suggestions - especially the warning against using heat! I did notice the stem feeling sort of plasticky and not like a vulcanite material. I could probably live with it cleaned up and filled, that's a good idea. I could also use the stem from my Medico offer pipe - it's got the same metal push-in filter tenon. Or maybe I'll send away for another Medico mail offer pipe and throw in a few bucks for an extra stem.

Starbond medium thick black ca glue is the ticket (I'd also recommend buying a can / bottle of the accelerator) They're out of Los Angeles and the service and shipping times are stellar

https://starbond.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw9q ... trEALw_wcB
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Silver
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:01 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:54 pm @Wildcat, @Silver, and @Thelonious monkfish - thank you all for the suggestions - especially the warning against using heat! I did notice the stem feeling sort of plasticky and not like a vulcanite material. I could probably live with it cleaned up and filled, that's a good idea. I could also use the stem from my Medico offer pipe - it's got the same metal push-in filter tenon. Or maybe I'll send away for another Medico mail offer pipe and throw in a few bucks for an extra stem.

Starbond medium thick black ca glue is the ticket (I'd also recommend buying a can / bottle of the accelerator) They're out of Los Angeles and the service and shipping times are stellar

That's what I use, but if you could get another stem, that's less work!
Puff nstuff

Cool, awesome - thanks for the link @Mr Beardsley!
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Silver
Certified Codger

Also available on Amazon.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Silver wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:04 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:01 pm

That's what I use, but if you could get another stem, that's less work!
Do you just put some on and then sand till smooth?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Silver
Certified Codger

Thin layers. Accelerant speeds things up. Then sand away. All the way to 12000 grit.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:32 pm
Wildcat wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:43 am
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:39 am Also worth noting, the Alpha pipes produced in Sparta come with unfiltered push stems in vulcanite and acrylic, if you want a push stem Grabow for cheaper than an LL Bean go for one of them.
If I recall correctly, Sparta also priduced Smokers Pride pipes in the same shape as my Alpha. Were they push stem?? Refresh my memory Alex!! I remember back in my DGCF days we went in on a case of NOS of same.
...if only we had Tom around, he'd clear it up in an instant and vividly recall details and stories from behind the scenes we'd never have thought to ask about. He had a full picture of everything.
Amen
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

The Grabow Alphas were sold as a line Under the brand Master Craft . They had the back cover on the first 4 or so issues of P&T . I had gotten an Alpha Sigma Blue Ridge shape that was rusticated. I loved it but it disappeared . Fast forward a few years and my son called me saying hes smoking an alpha pipe he found in a box ... the bastid . Its his favorite pipe . I asked Tom if there were any others in that shape and he found one and I bought it off him . I love the Blue Ridge Shape . Im fixing to light it up as soon as it gets above freezing . Its cold as gee willikers here atm . Ill go up to the barn and rescue my box of P&T magazines if they are still in good condition . Till now , Id forgotten where I put them . I can remember discussing the back cover ad with the Lane Rep . It was a little hokey but showed the shape series with names . For some reason , I dont think it went over real big and I dont know why . They retailed for 45 bucks , I think , or maybe that was wholesale as it was a keystoned item .. I get reversed sometimes... this was when they came out around 96 / 97 [ Im guessing ] . I need to get that box and ill take a picture of the ad . I hope they arent ruined

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

26 years ago ... Tempus Fugit

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.