Matches.

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Alright. I have looked through the first three pages of the archives under 'Pipe Accessories' and and there is no talk about matches, or about Zippos either, for that matter. What the heck is this forum coming to? Are we becoming a crew of pantywaists? I know we have discussed this at length in the past but is seems we need to get back to our roots.

Let me tell you why.

I have misplaced my Zippo so I went to Terranova's Supermarket and bought a box of wooden matches. You know the kind. They are some no-name brand the size that you use to light a pilot light. I have been using them to light pipes and cigars.

I am going to tell you what I think whether you want to know or not. I like these wooden matches. I miss my Zippo (made in America) because I am so used to it that it is an extension of my hand, but there is nothing wrong with these wood matches. It hasn't been windy. You can trust a wood match the way you can trust a wooden Indian. Ask how.

There are 32 matches in a box. I am about halfway through my first one. So far, no complaints. I like them. I want to find my Zippo but I'm not in any particular rush. Good things come to those who wait. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy these matches. I'm going to buy another box of 32 tomorrow to stock up.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Citizen B wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:30 pm Alright. I have looked through the first three pages of the archives under 'Pipe Accessories' and and there is no talk about matches, or about Zippos either, for that matter. What the heck is this forum coming to? Are we becoming a crew of pantywaists? I know we have discussed this at length in the past but is seems we need to get back to our roots.

Let me tell you why.

I have misplaced my Zippo so I went to Terranova's Supermarket and bought a box of wooden matches. You know the kind. They are some no-name brand the size that you use to light a pilot light. I have been using them to light pipes and cigars.

I am going to tell you what I think whether you want to know or not. I like these wooden matches. I miss my Zippo (made in America) because I am so used to it that it is an extension of my hand, but there is nothing wrong with these wood matches. It hasn't been windy. You can trust a wood match the way you can trust a wooden Indian. Ask how.

There are 32 matches in a box. I am about halfway through my first one. So far, no complaints. I like them. I want to find my Zippo but I'm not in any particular rush. Good things come to those who wait. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy these matches. I'm going to buy another box of 32 tomorrow to stock up.
Are they strike anywhere though? Most likely not.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Riff89

I’ve been using matches lately myself I’ve been smoking in my man cave where wind isn’t an issue (unless I’ve had beans, or dairy). Glad you brought the lowly match back into the spotlight it deserves @Citizen B without fire we’d all be chewing our tobacco and spitting all over the place.
ncrobb
Founding Member

In full disclosure I prefer wooden matches to light my pipe with. I think I get a more even light and for some reason the tobacco seems to take to the match flame better- if that makes sense. But my Zippo is more convenient.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Hawkwood

I love the way matches smell, many fond memories. I use wooden matches almost exclusively for pipe lighting. Bic lighter outdoors.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

The B&M that I go to inPalm Coast Fl when I visit Ma ... anytime you buy something there , they toss in a small box of wooden matches . Theyre really nice . The way they light with ease , the flame ... everything . Ill have to look on the box to see what they are . The shops name is on them but they are made somewhere, and I like them

Anyway , it seems the Diamond brand must be made over seas these days ... The brand is currently owned by Royal Oak [ the charcoal people in Atlanta ] . I like their charcoal , I do

https://bringmethenews.com/news/last-ma ... es-closing

https://www.diamonddoesitbetter.com/pro ... ry/matches ...

Their weather proof matches are selling at home depot for 5 bucks a box of 25 . Theyre made for camping etc ... Ill stick to a bic camping .... first time every time

Youll find your zippo . I lose mine all the time and Ill grab a back up and within a week I usually find the one I lost . The zippo belt holster helps me not lose it every day
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Here we go again with the matches.
The Troll Whisperer
ironclad

I use Diamond Strike Anywhere or the Zippo, whichever is closer to me as I butt-sit and need a light.
Mischief managed.
ncrobb
Founding Member

B&M matches are awesome.

Yes, I refill the boxes with Diamond brand (it’s the only kind I can find) and yes, they are too long so I cut them down with side cutters (politically incorrect term for this type of pliers withheld).
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Tsal wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:33 pm Here we go again with the matches.
If anyone ever asks me if I have a match I’m gonna say, “Yeah, your face and my dog’s butt.”

I can’t wait!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!