Aromatic Advice

Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

It has occured to me that just maybe I have not given aromatics a fair chance in my pipe smokeing. The same for bent pipes. I am going to dig out some bent pipes and order up a few ounces of bulk full blown aros. So far I have decided on Lane 1Q, Lane RLP-6, and a pouch of SWR aromatic. Any other suggestions? Its not like I have never smoked aros. I enjoy brief encounters with them now and then. Very brief. I also have been curious why 1Q does not get the love shown in the reviews from our aro smokers here. I have not smoked any of the blends I have listed and only picked them because of how they were rated on Tobaccoreviews. I intend on settling the aro/bent pipe question as far as I am concerned once and forever.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I never had any of those on your list except for SWRA which I really like a lot and smoke regularly. I would try OTC aro's first before going whole hog on the thousands of others... the classics are good. Dutch Masters has a great cherry blend.
The Troll Whisperer
ncrobb
Founding Member

I’ve had and have on hand all three of the ones you mentioned. The 1Q is ok, the RLP-6 is good but the SWRA is great. YMMV. Like you I’ve wondered how 1Q can continuously be rated the top seller but you never hear of anyone smoking it. I’m also a fan of Dutch Masters Kentucky Bourbon Cavendish though some are scornful of it. If you like a little Latakia look at Lane HGL. There are hundreds of blends out there. It might that you can sort by preferred flavoring on some online sellers site to see what is available to suit your taste. You can’t go wrong with OTCs; they haven’t been around this long for no reason.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

The East India Trading Company brand makes only 3 blends and they are all aromatics and fantastic. Cellar Reserve is my favorite Aromatic. Really high auality stuff thats never talked about. P&C sells all 3 in a bundle with a discount.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Sutliff Rum and Maple
Sutliff Vanilla Custard (a "match" IMO for Creme Brulee)
Smokers Pride Black Cavendish
...are the only "sweet tooths" I have on hand.

Of 1Q and RLP-6 I like RLP-6 the best and as was mentioned above, SWRA is better, but a different animal than 1Q and RLP-6, so YMMV.

I haven't tried the SP Cherry pouch I picked up recently, so I can't comment. I do like Paladin more than DM Cherry, but don't keep any around. I bought the SP Cherry to try out Ruff's recipe.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Oh, bent pipes...

I only have a few straights left. Anymore, if I'm reaching for a pipe, it's bent to some degree or another, quarter to full.

Better clenching.
Ronv69
Founding Member

1Q is an easy to smoke, good tasting and good smelling tobacco. Most people just want something easy to smoke that's inoffensive. I like it OK, but I I like something with a little body more.
God and Texas!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ronv69 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:54 pm 1Q is an easy to smoke, good tasting and good smelling tobacco. Most people just want something easy to smoke that's inoffensive. I like it OK, but I I like something with a little body more.
I think you're right. That's why I like RLP-6 more than 1Q, more body, mild but deeper flavor.

I forgot another on my sweet tooth list, Smokers Pride Whiskey. Good stuff, my favorite Whiskey tobacco, best I've had.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

My better half does not like SWRA. She says it stinks.

She tolerates the last batch of Grand Croupier Jack Pot I got. I really like this one. It is a C&D blend via Low Country and has more nicotine than you usually find in an aro.

I like Smokers Pride Black Cavendish. It is a great smelling aro and a good smoke, but almost no nicotine. It will not bite.
@Ruffinogold will back me up on that. Wife approved, natch.

Lane HGL is very good and smells like toasted marshmallows to me. This one is RLP-6 with a whisper of latakia. The latakia is far in the background. Wife approved.

None of these give me a steamy, hot air smoke...they all deliver plenty of smoke with good flavor.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I recently got a tin of Autumn Evening. I will try it later.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche