Matching Father and Son Glocks

sisyphus
Person of Interest

I had it in my head that I wanted a polymer, striker fired pistol, because it was so far away from my preference in handguns I thought it'd be cool to have a token exception in the safe.

I went to the LGS Friday after work and handled the HK VP9. Ergonomic grip, but at the HK's price point I found the trigger too creepy with an unforgivably soft reset. Plus the slide was pretty loose on the frame.

I handled the S&W M&P M2.0. Failed every metric I had for a plastic gun.

CZ P-10F. Best trigger of any polymer pistol. A slide release that is so stiff it's impossible to use. Deal breaker.

Finally I said "Fine, hand me that Glock 45.". The Glock 45 is a G17 frame (full size) with a G19 slide (compact). Just like a 1911 Commander. Plastic perfection. The trigger was better than anything but the CZ. The slide was tight on the frame, like a human actually took the effort to fit it. By noon the next day I owned one.

My son had emailed me early Saturday morning. We were sitting around in our pajamas drinking coffee and sending emails back and forth, and within 20 minutes we met on the curb (he lives in the house next door) and we drove 45 miles to an LGS that we knew to have Glocks in stock. I got my 45 and he bought a 19.

We got home from our trip and spent the better part of the afternoon field stripping and handling our new toys. We dubbed it Glock Saturday and swore that every year on the second Saturday of January we would celebrate Glock Saturday by going out together and buying new Glocks. We had a great day.

Actually owning and handling a Glock I am a little unsettled by how much I like it. I've kind of determined to buy a second 45 in FDE so I have a pair of them. The logic being that having two of the same gun will make me a Glock ninja with all the training I'll get on that one platform. And they can share holsters.

I'm also considering the Shadow Systems XR 920, which is an American made Glock clone. A little more money but it comes with night sights and it's cut for an RMR if I ever wanted to go that route.

Word on the street is Glocks just work, every time, flawlessly. If that is true, it meets my main criteria for a handgun. The one thing that I think is really swinging me over to Glock enthusiasm is the weight. It makes my current end of the world sidearm feel like a boat anchor. I put a weapon light on my Glock already, and it's still lighter with the light mounted.

Always loved 1911s, Sig and clones, and CZs. Never, ever thought I'd own a Glock, much less that I would have more than one of them. I totally get why the Glock is the most relevant and influential sidearm since the Browning Hi-Power. Glock won me over, I'm a fan now.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
sisyphus
Person of Interest

also, while the Glock trigger is no 1911, it's not bad, and there is something to be said for exactly the same pull every time
Ronv69
Founding Member

"Just like a 1911 Commander". Uh huh. 🤯🤔👹
God and Texas!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Ronv69 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:09 pm "Just like a 1911 Commander". Uh huh. 🤯🤔👹
In that it is a full size grip frame with a 4" barrel
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Glock never felt quite right in my hands and so I have a couple of Springfield xd's instead to fill the polymer frame segment. Out here in the land of fruits and nuts the more modern Glock revisions aren't available so maybe they've come a long way but the stuff I handled felt like it should be named clunk instead
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Hawkwood

My favourite handgun is my FN Hi Power and it always will be. That said about two years ago I bought my first Glock. It is a gen 3 G17. I was so struck by the genius design that I bought a G19. Wonderful pistols.
Riff89

I like my Gen 3 Glock 23 it’s a damn reliable firearm. Not pretty by any stretch but damn reliable.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

On topic / off topic. I always wonder what in the hell people are shooting that complain about reliability issues which in turn makes them rave about glock. When I was in the 1911 rabbit hole people would bitch constantly about kimber being unreliable etc and it was a simple fix: buy a better mag. *disclaimer * there was a darker period where they were using a different ejector and suffered some issues but that was fixed years and years ago* Stock ones are junk. Never used the stock mags, always aftermarket and zero issues with thousands of rounds through my 2. I'm 47 and shot plenty of different makes / calibers / styles (but never shot junk guns to be honest) and have never had one go click instead of bang. At this point in my life I'm starting to think reliability issues are the stuff of internet mythology.

More on topic that I didn't mention in my first post, congrats on the purchase sisyphus. Glad you and your son are stoked on the new acquisitions!
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
sisyphus
Person of Interest

while most guns fail due to lack of lube, magazine issues, or underpowered ammo, there are pistols that seem to suffer from ejection and feeding issues that are design or manufacture related. Can't have that in a tool you bet your life on.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I'm an old codger who is sold for life on the 1911. It has been my choice ever since I was a young man. That being said, my nephew is a police officer that had his sidearm replaced by his department with the Glock 45. He was a pretty sad camper for a while until he became more used to the weapon. Now he has nothing but praise and good things to say about it. We were supposed to go shoot it some this past summer but never got around to it. He lives in the next state and has 8 kids. Probably couldn't get away from the baby factory long enough.