So I Went and Did This :(...

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Do I give it the Dave Whitney Super Glue Stem Treatment? I don't want to and don't think I should, but I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Riff89

Wildcat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:29 pm Do I give it the Dave Whitney Super Glue Stem Treatment? I don't want to and don't think I should, but I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

I’m not a pipe repair man so take my suggestion with a block of salt. Is it a push tennon or threaded? My first thought is to use a small screw as an ez out. Once you get the piece out you could attempt to super glue it back together and keep on puffing. Again take this with copious amounts of salt. I don’t want to be responsible for a totaled meer.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I would be tempted to send it off for a new stem.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Riff89 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:36 pm
Wildcat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:29 pm Do I give it the Dave Whitney Super Glue Stem Treatment? I don't want to and don't think I should, but I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

I’m not a pipe repair man so take my suggestion with a block of salt. Is it a push tennon or threaded? My first thought is to use a small screw as an ez out. Once you get the piece out you could attempt to super glue it back together and keep on puffing. Again take this with copious amounts of salt. I don’t want to be responsible for a totaled meer.
Id do the above and ... if that turns out meh ... send it out . Gotta hate a busted stem . Ive got a box of 30 or 40 :(
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Riff89 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:36 pm

Any suggestions?

It's that threaded style on meerschaums. It was overturned and couldn't be smoked as it was unless you backed off a 1/4 turn or better and then it was loosey goosey. So half is in the stummel/shank.

I'm not sure of the pipes value or age, but it's got to be fairly old (@Thelonious monkfish ?).
I'm not sure it's worth.

@Fr_Tom any suggestions as to who or where to send? Cost?
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

The (in)famous zip-tie meer was like this, and I sent it off to Norwood and was not really very happy with the job they did, but it had a new stem, and it all worked. Then the shank cracked, and I "fixed" it with a zip-tie. I think I paid $85 for the Norwood repair. @Tsal wanted the pipe, and we traded. He sent it back to Norwood, and they did a very good job for him.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

:lurk: I have a push style stem in one of my briar pipes that did the same thing. I dropped it on the concrete patio.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Wildcat
Codger in Training

mrpipster wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:02 pm :lurk: I have a push style stem in one of my briar pipes that did the same thing. I dropped it on the concrete patio.
That should be easy enough to get out of the shank using a small screw. Then you'd just have to get a new stem.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Wildcat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:09 pm
mrpipster wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:02 pm :lurk: I have a push style stem in one of my briar pipes that did the same thing. I dropped it on the concrete patio.
That should be easy enough to get out of the shank using a small screw. Then you'd just have to get a new stem.
Yea I just havent done it yet. I am going to try and fix it myself. I'm not sure with what yet but,I am going to try.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
ncrobb
Founding Member

Maybe put it in the freezer and try an EZ out? Once you get it out I’d true up both ends and use a piece of stainless steel tubing to reinforce the joint. With both pieces back drilled to accept the tubing and their mating faces squared up you should be able to carefully glue it all back together with the stem properly clocked. YMMV but that is what I’d look at doing
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett