Some insight needed on retirement

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I need an excuse to go out . Im avoiding work for as long as I can , though the time off is closing . I must admit that , looking back at this work blow off Ive done since before christmas ................ I dont think I can retire ? .. or at least not during winter . Maybe I could retire the rest of the year . The older I get , the less Im wanting to be out in the cold and damp .. thus , Im inside . Thing is , I dont like being inside for more than a couple hours at a time

If retirement meant staying inside like ive been doing [ covid didnt help , btw ] then I couldnt do it , I dont think . Ill try blowing off work in the summer , spring and fall ... and see how that goes because Id be able to do stuff outside and I might like that alot , lol . So , maybe work in the winter because winter sucks and blow the rest of the rest of the year off when I retire ... that could work ?

I dont know . So you retired guys ..... how do you do it and is it working out ? Is it what you thought it would be or not so much ?

Im not talking financially . Im assuming thats taken care of
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I would like to be able to retire one day, I would fill my time up with little projects. After putting in so many years of hard work,, retirement is well deserved.
The Troll Whisperer
ncrobb
Founding Member

:lurk:

I’m with you Ruff. I don’t mind working but I’m tired of working “for the man”. I’ve got lots of projects and things I could do I think to fill up my time, some of which could earn a little cash. I’ve got boats to build.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Well you never know until you try. Sound like a good plan to me though. Are you still moving?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

After I sold my last business in 2017 I had no problem retiring. I have been physically a total shit show. My third back surgery which was a fusion with all kinds of metal put in me ruined me. No more tennis or golf or basketball, I became pretty much cripple. I need a wheel chair and a neck brace to go out. I also have severe spinal stenosis and really bad Neuropathy. Leaving my home is a major pain in the ass and it hurts like hell just to take a shower.
I moved into my development in 2012. One of the main reasons I did was the tennis center with 4 Har Tru tennis courts that had great lights although I prefer playing in the day time heat.

Now my retirement is all about watching my kids grow up and smoking loads of weed which helps the Neuropathy to a degree. I sit in my living room in my Lazy Boy recliner for a while then I have to move to my bedroom which has a very special mattress and frame that moves in all kinds of positions.

I had plans to travel in my latter years but that isn't happening until I can get a week or so where my kids are all off at the same time. I smoke in every room of my home and there is no one who can say boo about it.

After speaking to my estate attorney, he told me to take the earliest retirement I could get. Financially he said it was the best deal so I took his advice. It would be kind of stupid not to take advice from a 400,00 an hour attorney. I have one more year and then I can collect government health care. I still have to get gap insurance, I will see how much that shit costs.

My retirement is ok, but it isn't what I pictured, but then again I never thought I would see 65.
Harris
Puff nstuff

:lurk:
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Wildcat
Codger in Training

My father in law retired at 62. Delivered freight for Roadway. When he retired he laid on the couch, started watching old westerns and was going to the doctor's office within the year. My advice, whatever you do, don't stop moving and don't stop having purpose in life.

Thanks to the recession, foreclosure and bankruptcy, my wife and I will never be able to retire. Based on what I said above, it won't be all that bad and we're okay with it. Give us today our daily bread.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

mrpipster wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:31 pm Well you never know until you try. Sound like a good plan to me though. Are you still moving?
The wife uturned on me in that regard but just showed me a house in Tn. that interests her . Shes driving me nuts , man . So , to answer your question .... I am planning on it , more than likely .. but ??? I hope so , cause now is the time
Ronv69
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:02 pm I need an excuse to go out . Im avoiding work for as long as I can , though the time off is closing . I must admit that , looking back at this work blow off Ive done since before christmas ................ I dont think I can retire ? .. or at least not during winter . Maybe I could retire the rest of the year . The older I get , the less Im wanting to be out in the cold and damp .. thus , Im inside . Thing is , I dont like being inside for more than a couple hours at a time

If retirement meant staying inside like ive been doing [ covid didnt help , btw ] then I couldnt do it , I dont think . Ill try blowing off work in the summer , spring and fall ... and see how that goes because Id be able to do stuff outside and I might like that alot , lol . So , maybe work in the winter because winter sucks and blow the rest of the rest of the year off when I retire ... that could work ?

I dont know . So you retired guys ..... how do you do it and is it working out ? Is it what you thought it would be or not so much ?

Im not talking financially . Im assuming thats taken care of
Well, I stay busy with projects and I love not having to answer to anyone. Money can be tight. If I could still work I would probably get on with the local lumber yard/hardware store. Flexible hours, some indoors and out, and it's interesting.
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

A guy I work with alot , Leo , is 75 . He works 350 days a year ... no bullshit . Every now and then he talks shit about retiring but he doesnt . He's got a ton of money , so its not that . I think he just doesnt know how not to work ... its defined him .
I need to get with him on a few things and I talked to him about it the other day . See , this guy is a master cabinet maker .. like freaky and last of a breed . I need him to show me a few things I cant figure .... actually , more than a few . He looks like a Troll but hes in good health ... hes a grouchy gee willikers too , so we get along pretty good for 18 or more years now .
I told him if he stopped he might just drop over and he agreed . I also told him if he drops over that Im not doing mouth to mouth but Id make him comfortable and run for help ... lol