Dr Grabow pipes and filters

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:06 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:25 pm The savinelli balsa thingies don't get much attention around here. Is it because it's basically just an insert that air passes by instead of through?
Don't forget those volcanic clay pipe stones that Eric Nording tries to sell like they actually do something.
Those are meant to be used in their falcon type pipes. Like the lava rock in the bottom of a gas grill (remember that?!) And since we're on that train... The pipe cleaner rings for the falcons :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I don't use the filters in my Grabow filter pipes. I don't have the ash/ember problem with Dr G like I do get with cobs sometimes and my Grabows smoke so dry naturally, it's scary.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Lostdog5152 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:13 pm I don't use them but others love them. Use up that box of Medico filters you have and you should have a pretty good idea whether they are for you or not. I smoke mostly old Grabows with the screw stem and prefer them over the filter versions I have. Either way the filter or the stinger is removed.
I couldn't have said it better myself!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:41 pm I don't use the filters in my Grabow filter pipes. I don't have the ash/ember problem with Dr G like I do get with cobs sometimes and my Grabows smoke so dry naturally, it's scary.
Yup.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

mrpipster wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:08 pm
Citizen B wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:06 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:25 pm The savinelli balsa thingies don't get much attention around here. Is it because it's basically just an insert that air passes by instead of through?
Don't forget those volcanic clay pipe stones that Eric Nording tries to sell like they actually do something.
I bought some of those a few months ago but,havent tried them yet.
The secret to happiness is low expectations. Keep us updated. I'll be interested in your experience. We can compare and contrast.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I’ve always liked the idea of filters. Cleaner/better for you. I’ve tried a few different types. Some remove just moisture, some remove moisture and tar, some remove moisture, tar and nicotine. The best ones stop/help prevent tongue bite.

That being said, I smoke mainly Dr. Grabow’s and Corn Cobs. I occaisionally throw in a filter. Medico’s have a better draw than the Grabow brand. I’ve heard to put a pipe cleaner through them to open them up before smoking. 1-3 smokes with a paper filter of the same blend. If you change blends, change filters. The filters ghost way worse than your pipe.

The best video there is on pipe filters that I have found is by Eddie Gray from The Pipe Nook. I’ll post the video below.

All that said, my prefered filters are Brigham Rock Maple Distillators. Brighams are great pipes, at a great price, that don’t get enough recognition. The filters, are inexpensive, do not ghost, and can be used up to 30x if not more, of someone desires. I definately will add more to my collection.

https://youtu.be/HfXsXRVuUAc
Hawkwood

I smoke filter and non filter pipes. As far as when to change the DrG type filter it seems to depend on what kind of tobacco you are smoking. As a general rule I'd say after several smokes, 3 to 5.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

From what I can tell , the amount of paper in the medico filter may either be less or less tightly wrapped . I prefer the Medico filters . Both work but the medico seems to draw better and I think theyre a touch shorter , which I think also better because Ive had some Grabow filters that seem to get compressed at the top or bottom end on certain pipes ... could be a fluke , I dont know
3 to 5 bowls in the range , depending on the bowl size . A Grabow lark , as an example , usually has a small chamber and you could go probably 5 bowls , where as a Omega or larger chamber .. not as much
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.