You can't go back.

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

This place is called The Willow now. https://www.thewillowuptown.com/about-us

I think I would have preferred it as Al's.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I could have a couple of beers in peace at Al's it looks like. Maybe even carry on a conversation without shouting myself hoarse.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I dont drink anymore but,all the small towns around here have bars like Al's. Most of them dont really like outsiders though. If your not from the town you will definitely be watched and feel uncomfortable.
Especially in the river town bars.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

mrpipster wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:17 pm I dont drink anymore but,all the small towns around here have bars like Al's. Most of them dont really like outsiders though. If your not from the town you will definitely be watched and feel uncomfortable.
Especially in the river town bars.
Well, you gotta start somewhere.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Puff nstuff

When I hear 'Al's Bar,' I can only think of the iconic alt music/art scene locale in DTLA, the importance of which to the 80s/90s alternative music scene in LA cannot be overestimated. For a kid from the suburbs, a trip down to LA to see a show at Al's Bar was a pretty big deal. I did it a few times.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al%27s_ ... can_Hotel)
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

mrpipster wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:17 pm .... you will definitely be watched and feel uncomfortable.
I have grown accustomed to it.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Puff nstuff wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:10 pm When I hear 'Al's Bar,' I can only think of the iconic alt music/art scene locale in DTLA, the importance of which to the 80s/90s alternative music scene in LA cannot be overestimated. For a kid from the suburbs, a trip down to LA to see a show at Al's Bar was a pretty big deal. I did it a few times.

I know what you mean. I was that way with the clubs in Manhattan. I was reading the newspaper the other day and an article mentioned a club from the 80s called Save the Robots. The words triggered a flashback. Oh, what a night. More than once. You can never go back. As we say all the time in New Orleans, "Ain't dere no more."
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Citizen B wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:07 pm
mrpipster wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:17 pm .... you will definitely be watched and feel uncomfortable.
I have grown accustomed to it.
I probably need watched if I'm drinking.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:10 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:10 pm When I hear 'Al's Bar,' I can only think of the iconic alt music/art scene locale in DTLA, the importance of which to the 80s/90s alternative music scene in LA cannot be overestimated. For a kid from the suburbs, a trip down to LA to see a show at Al's Bar was a pretty big deal. I did it a few times.

I know what you mean. I was that way with the clubs in Manhattan. I was reading the newspaper the other day and an article mentioned a club from the 80s called Save the Robots. The words triggered a flashback. Oh, what a night. More than once. You can never go back. As we say all the time in New Orleans, "Ain't dere no more."
The Chance, Poughkeepsie, NY was my Save The Robots.

Started lying about my age at 14. Started lying to my my parents about where I was spending the night when I discovered Blue Oyster Cult. Spent the night in a lot of unsavory spaces waiting to buy tickets in the morning. TicketMaster, hah! Today's youth are spoiled!

As for Al's, we had Brown's Bar and Grill. Beer in a juice glass for a quarter. Pickled eggs a quarter a piece. Wood stove in the corner, ancient jukebox and a pool table. Toss in some cigs and we lived like kings.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:23 pm
Citizen B wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:10 pm

The Chance, Poughkeepsie, NY was my Save The Robots.

Started lying about my age at 14. Started lying to my my parents about where I was spending the night when I discovered Blue Oyster Cult. Spent the night in a lot of unsavory spaces waiting to buy tickets in the morning. TicketMaster, hah! Today's youth are spoiled!

As for Al's, we had Brown's Bar and Grill. Beer in a juice glass for a quarter. Pickled eggs a quarter a piece. Wood stove in the corner, ancient jukebox and a pool table. Toss in some cigs and we lived like kings.
I love pickled eggs.

I don't like the kind from China so much.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.