Sutliff Moroccan Spice

kschatey

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:28 pm And their ts24 is awesome all on it's own too
So I have heard! I actually just got a couple ounces of the TS24 with my tin of Moroccan Spice. It was packed so tight in the bag that I had to chew it apart with my teeth!
Mmm... So woody and herbaceous with a twinge of twang!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

kschatey wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:21 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:28 pm And their ts24 is awesome all on it's own too
So I have heard! I actually just got a couple ounces of the TS24 with my tin of Moroccan Spice. It was packed so tight in the bag that I had to chew it apart with my teeth!
Mmm... So woody and herbaceous with a twinge of twang!
It's very aromatic!
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
kschatey

Wildcat wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:22 pm
Citizen B wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:16 pm
kschatey wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:03 pm
.... this fine, exotic ribbon.
You just said a mouthful. I don't usually buy tins like this but I am looking forward to the review. If you like it, I might get one.
If it's what I hope it is, I'm in.

Just popped open this tin of Sutliff Moroccan Spice. Closing my eyes and inhaling deep lungfuls of the aromas wafting from the tin invokes visions of… uh… cocoa, pecans, and soft black licorice pieces? What the? I better open my eyes and make sure that I grabbed the right tin… Yep, it says "Moroccan Spice" right there on the front. Ce la vie, let's just set that aside to breathe a bit and light some up in my Svenborg Barkentine Inka Moroccan-shaped pipe (yes, I just made that pipe shape up for the sake of this review). Pretty pipe, eh? Okay, okay, no more delay, let's talk about the blend… The flavor begins much like the aroma: sweet/sugary, vaguely chocolate, and a bit of licorice, nothing really distinct or overtly Moroccan. Things dry out a bit about a quarter to a third of the way in (likely once the tobacco has had a chance to heat up all the way through and some of the casing to burn off) and I get some cedar, no a bit sweeter like fir wood, and then hints of warming cinnamon spice and hints of clove. The cinnamon is more like the rolled bark sticks and subtle; it's not really aromatic and definitely not super pepper and fake like cinnamon candies. Passing the halfway point, much more of the spice comes through. I definitely get some tingle in my nose on the retrohale and some tingling on the tongue as well.

Yes, I get it… This is tobacco and not food. However, I was really expecting a blast of pungent Moroccan-themed spices like cumin, coriander, cinnamon, clove, and/or star anise to hit me in the nose when I opened the tin. Nothing remotely close to that really seems to exist in this blend. It definitely makes sense now why all of the descriptions of this blend merely state "spice." That's pretty much spot on. Yes, there's spice, but it's just vague and mostly generic in flavor. Maybe I just don't have as good a tasting palate for tobacco as I do for beer, spirits, and food. So be it; I can take the blame if I'm totally off base on this blend. Hopefully somebody else can better describe this blend for others then so I can also discover what I am apparently missing. Overall the blend is perfectly okay and has a pleasing room note according to my wife, but there definitely is not an exotic Moroccan spice bazaar hiding in this can of tobacco!

Disclaimer: More time needs to be spent with this tobacco in order to develop a more complete impression, but I wanted to get something posted tonight before @Wildcat has a heart attack or aneurysm from waiting in suspense!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

kschatey wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:47 pm
Overall the blend is perfectly okay and has a pleasing room note according to my wife, but there definitely is not an exotic Moroccan spice bazaar hiding in this can of tobacco!
You told me exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Disclaimer: More time needs to be spent with this tobacco in order to develop a more complete impression, but I wanted to get something posted tonight before @Wildcat has a heart attack or aneurysm from waiting in suspense!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Wildcat wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:22 am
PSF is officially an aneurysm-free zone.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:14 pm
Wildcat wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:22 am
PSF is officially an aneurysm-free zone.
:lol:
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sounds pretty nice :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

@kschatey I received your card and sample, thank you! Great card and neat way to send a sample, better than ziplocks for sure. I haven't tried it yet, but stay tuned. Thanks for thinking of me!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

An over due review.

My sample was vacuum sealed. It was almost like a slice. Very 😎! Two bowls worth.

Both smoked in brylon.

Tin note is chocolate and cinnamon. The second bowl the tobacco was dryer and the chocolate and cinnamon was very prominent. Really nice.

The smoke. As was stated earlier, there is no tumeric or curry or coriander here. The chocolate didn't translate either. That said, I enjoyed it, for the same reason I like Middleton Cherry Blend. Baking spices. This is actually more pronounced in this area, but minus the burley oc the MCB. I got cinnamon and nutmeg, which do fit the the tobacco's name here. There is a general sweetness, again not chocolate but not overly vanilla either. It's not an oatmeal cookie thing, more like putting tumeric and cinnamon and nutmeg on savory foods, which is great by the way! Add some black pepper... Chef's kiss! Which brings me to the black pepper, which shows up in the retro hale. Nice.

It's a gooper for sure, with plenty of dottle, but it was easy to light and stayed lit for me during both smokes. Disclaimer, I use the signal fire lighting technique :lol:

Conclusion, I'm glad I got to try it. Thank you @kschatey , I appreciate your generosity! I won't buy it, but I'm glad I tried it and I wouldn't say no if someone offered me a bowl. I think aro fans will dig it.

As a side note, I really had to pay attention to figure this out, which was a good exercise for me. Not something I'm used to doing.