My Updated Thoughts on Ruger

sisyphus
Person of Interest

A year ago I owned four of them, three revolvers and a bolt gun.

The 45LC Blackhawk was the only one with no issues. I sold it to a friend at work when I decided I didn't need 45LC with everything else I had going on.

The 44 magnum Redhawk had a problem with the action from the factory where the cylinder lock would disengage but reengage before the hand could advance the cylinder. It's still at Ruger being made right. It goes to my FFL for trade when it gets back.

The 41 magnum Blackhawk base pin backs out under stout magnum loads. It goes to my FFL for trade.

The 375 Ruger bolt gun's stock cracked on its very first range trip. I was going to send it back to Ruger for a new stock, but when I found out what a pain it is to ship a firearm + the wait to get it back I said screw it. I am keeping this one because the caliber is just too much fun, but when I have the change I'm buying a Boyd's laminate stock for it.

So, of my small sample size of 4, 3 had what I consider big issues. I am no longer a fan and wouldn't buy a Ruger going forward.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

sisyphus wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:28 pm A year ago I owned four of them, three revolvers and a bolt gun.

The 45LC Blackhawk was the only one with no issues. I sold it to a friend at work when I decided I didn't need 45LC with everything else I had going on.

The 44 magnum Redhawk had a problem with the action from the factory where the cylinder lock would disengage but reengage before the hand could advance the cylinder. It's still at Ruger being made right. It goes to my FFL for trade when it gets back.

The 41 magnum Blackhawk base pin backs out under stout magnum loads. It goes to my FFL for trade.

The 375 Ruger bolt gun's stock cracked on its very first range trip. I was going to send it back to Ruger for a new stock, but when I found out what a pain it is to ship a firearm + the wait to get it back I said screw it. I am keeping this one because the caliber is just too much fun, but when I have the change I'm buying a Boyd's laminate stock for it.

So, of my small sample size of 4, 3 had what I consider big issues. I am no longer a fan and wouldn't buy a Ruger going forward.
That's a damn shame. Back in the day ruger had awesome quality and it seemed like you could feel the pride in craftsmanship when you had it in hand
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
ncrobb
Founding Member

That’s a shame because my experience has been the opposite. I can’t remember how many Ruger single actions I’ve owned. Everything from .22 LR to .480 Ruger. I shot one .45 Colt BH so much the internals just wore out. I sent it to them and they put all new parts in and sent it back. I had a stainless Mini 14 that was my one Lemon. It functioned perfectly but the sights were off and it ran out of adjustment and still shot about a foot left at 50 yards. I guess I’d be leery too if I’d had run into so many issues.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

ncrobb wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:37 pm That’s a shame because my experience has been the opposite. I can’t remember how many Ruger single actions I’ve owned. Everything from .22 LR to .480 Ruger. I shot one .45 Colt BH so much the internals just wore out. I sent it to them and they put all new parts in and sent it back. I had a stainless Mini 14 that was my one Lemon. It functioned perfectly but the sights were off and it ran out of adjustment and still shot about a foot left at 50 yards. I guess I’d be leery too if I’d had run into so many issues.
I hate to hear that too. I have had a dozen Ruger Blackhawks and one .45 Colt Redhawk through the years and never had one issue. I never shot one enough to wear one out…for a Ruger that’s a lot of shooting!

I wonder how much if this can be attributed to the materials shortage since the plandemic. Maybe none of it, but things seem different since the world leaders took us down the path of shutdowns.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
ncrobb
Founding Member

It wasn’t completely worn out. That sounded worse than it was. It was worn to the point that if you cocked it hard it would jump time - the cylinder latch/bolt wouldn’t drop in fast enough/deep enough to catch and it would rotate past the “next” chamber. It you worked normally it was fine.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett