UNBELIEVABLE!!! Score of a LIFETIME

Robhumphrey04

So I’m perusing my local cigar shop today and picked up the new ES 4th gen FFF. Got to discussing starting a pipe club with the owner of the shop. She was all for it. Said she had been looking for someone to head something like that up. Then we got to talking about tobacco. Told her I’d been trying to find some Esoterica Penzance. She said she had some! She went in back and asked if I wanted it still because it was pretty old. Here is what she brought out.
ImageImage
Now I’ve never had this stuff but I’m sitting here looking at it not knowing what I’m looking at at all. I asked how much for one of the 2 oz. tins. She said 20 bucks. I grabbed both. Then I saw the 8 oz bag and asked. She said 20 bucks. I almost couldn’t contain myself. So I keep looking through her “old” stash and find…
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gents, I about came unglued. She said “how about 100$ for the lot? I couldn’t get my card out fast enough! So I get in the truck and got on a good article on Reddit for dating esoterica. The lot 780 has a tinning date of, get this, 1996. So the penzance and the margate have been sealed in the tins and bag for 26 years. I haven’t dated the FM yet and never heard of the McCranies Red Ribbon but I bet they are pretty old too. All sealed. I’m a bit worried about the 8oz bag of penzance. It seems fine. If it’s dried out, can this stuff be rehydrated? Please say yes.
kschatey

Wow, that's awesome! I am jealous for sure. I have had Penzance before (fantastic), bit none of the others. You are one lucky duck. Enjoy!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Score!

I predict it will be fine.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Robhumphrey04

Does this penzance look right? Is that mold?
kschatey

Robhumphrey04 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:08 pm Does this penzance look right? Is that mold?
Pic is a bit blurry, but the spots appear to be on certain components only. Likely not mold. Also, mold is fuzzy and spreads outward and usually even smells. Mineral excretion (some call it "plume") will have a crystaline structure and may even sparkle a bit in the light. Take a look under a magnifying glass if possible.
kschatey

If you're still not sure, just send it all to me for "analysis" and I will subject to destructive testing just to be sure... :)
kschatey

As for rehydration, I have always heard to try it as is first to see if it meets your tastes as rehydrating it may not be best and could detract from the flavor. If you were to try rehydration, just start with a portion in a sealed jar with a Boveda hydration pack and slowly let it equalize over a week or three, checking it regularly of course.
Robhumphrey04

kschatey wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:23 pm As for rehydration, I have always heard to try it as is first to see if it meets your tastes as rehydrating it may not be best and could detract from the flavor. If you were to try rehydration, just start with a portion in a sealed jar with a Boveda hydration pack and slowly let it equalize over a week or three, checking it regularly of course.
Recommend a percentage on the boveda? I’ll send you some. The tins are good of the penzance. The bag was a bit crispy but crumbled up and it seems to smoke okay. Goes out a lot. Not burning super fas or hot. A little bitey on the licker but I don’t know what to expect. I’ll try a bowl from the tin later too. If it’s better I’ll go for a rehydrate. After all the 8 oz back was only 20 bucks.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

A couple of years ago, I wouldn't have been interested in this thread. Sir, you hunted and came back with something to stock the larder. Well done. A sharp eye pays off out in the field of B&Ms.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
kschatey

Robhumphrey04 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:33 pm
kschatey wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:23 pm As for rehydration, I have always heard to try it as is first to see if it meets your tastes as rehydrating it may not be best and could detract from the flavor. If you were to try rehydration, just start with a portion in a sealed jar with a Boveda hydration pack and slowly let it equalize over a week or three, checking it regularly of course.
Recommend a percentage on the boveda? I’ll send you some. The tins are good of the penzance. The bag was a bit crispy but crumbled up and it seems to smoke okay. Goes out a lot. Not burning super fas or hot. A little bitey on the licker but I don’t know what to expect. I’ll try a bowl from the tin later too. If it’s better I’ll go for a rehydrate. After all the 8 oz back was only 20 bucks.
I have a 69% one that I use in my jarador. It has been working well for my single cigar and trying to revive a bit of St. Bruno from an open pouch.