Broken pipe: Chief Catoonah (Dick Silverman)

Nhsmoker

Dick was a wonderful man. He was part of a pipe group I was in around 2008 or so and I was very new to the hobby. He was a great man, patient in teaching me some of the intricacies of pipe smoking and just sharing stories. He owned a tobacco shop in Connecticut (chief catoonah) as a 3rd career. He was also an amazing tobacco blender. He won the John cotton throw down in the Chicago pipe show in 2012 for masterfully recreating a vintage tobacco blend.
He named some of his pipe tobacco blends after friends. One of my favorite pipe tobaccos was a blend by him named alans inspiration inspired by his close friend Alan Siegal (spelling?) Who went by Absiegal on some boards.
I still have a supply of alans inspiration (a delicious
english blend) but I don't smoke it often because it hasn't been available since his passing in 2014.

A group of us used to meet up in fall river mass t just hang out and smoke pipes/ exchange stories.
Dick was a fascinating man and I just wanted to share this for any that may have had the pleasure of meeting him.
Middle Earth

Sorry to hear this. As you stated, He sounds like he was a great and fascinating Pipe-Man
sisyphus
Person of Interest

we're the last generation of pipe smokers I'm afraid
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Wildcat
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:31 am we're the last generation of pipe smokers I'm afraid
Can't hit like.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
CoreyR
Founding Member

sisyphus wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:31 am we're the last generation of pipe smokers I'm afraid
I fear you are correct sir.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I hope not . All our stash will get tossed when we drop ............................. smoke up , men !!!
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Nhsmoker

I mean I'm only 42 so hopefully have a bit of time left.
One of my sons thinks he would like to get into pipe smoking as well. He smokes cigars with me from time to time and mentioned he loves the smell when I smoke a pipe and wants to give it a try. But overall it is certainly a dying hobby. In the state I live in there are only 2 tobacco shops that I have found that even sell tinned tobacco. Maybe a couple more that have a few pouches of bulk. Also finding a nice selection of pipes is out of the question.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:06 pm
I hope not . All our stash will get tossed when we drop ............................. smoke up , men !!!
lol 😆 Ruff, you’re a stitch!

I told my people to save it all and barter with it after the leftists finish turning us into a third world shithole.

Luckily I’m cheap and all my stuff lends itself to rolling.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I have been to his shop and talked to him. It was located in my home town, a half a block off Main Street, across Governor Street from Town Hall. Chief Catoonah was the local sachem when Ridgefield, Connecticut was settled, that is the reference. Good man, both of them.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.