Where are my deer pros?

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I just got into hunting 2 years ago. Find a good friend or family member, and go out and have a good time. Waking up at 0400 sucks tho. But that adrenaline rush is worth it.
Silver
Certified Codger

Jlando19 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:21 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:15 pm They tear the velvet off when the rutting starts. It's gruesome. Hormones control all their actions after.
So these are the horns they’ll have for the season. Then they shed them and the process starts over?
Yup.
Robhumphrey04

I am a hunter. I live for the outdoors. My wife does too. These deer (bucks/males) are what we call “in velvet”. @Silver hot the mail ion the head. It means their antlers are still growing. This happens every year. Late winter to early spring they will loose both of their entire antlers. And new ones will grow in their place bigger than they were when they “shed” them. Those are nice deer. I’m also in Texas. Hard to find land to hunt here.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Jlando19 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:19 pm
Silver wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:48 pm What you see are this year's antlers growing. The velvet protects the antler and also the blood vessels underneath to supply blood/nutrients to the growing antlers. Once the antlers start to harden, the velvet dries and is shed from them. Bucks also help in shedding the velvet by rubbing their antlers against branches and brush. Then, it's game on.
I really want to get into hunting. I live in Texas it can’t be that hard to figure out. Haha. My dad didn’t get into it until about three years ago. One of his brother in law’s convinced him to go and now he’s hooked.
You’ll catch on rat quick. Just play like dem duck is on de groun. lol
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Silver wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:48 pm What you see are this year's antlers growing. The velvet protects the antler and also the blood vessels underneath to supply blood/nutrients to the growing antlers. Once the antlers start to harden, the velvet dries and is shed from them. Bucks also help in shedding the velvet by rubbing their antlers against branches and brush. Then, it's game on.
I really want to get into hunting. I live in Texas it can’t be that hard to figure out. Haha. My dad didn’t get into it until about three years ago. One of his brother in law’s convinced him to go and now he’s hooked.
Texas is an expensive place to hunt. In other states people hunt on public land. We don't have much in Texas and it gets crowded and the other hunters can be "not nice". I used to hunt on my friends lease that he paid $3500 per year for. I just love sitting in a tree with a rifle. I don't care if I shoot anything. In Wimberley you can walk up to them and cut their throat, no rifle needed.
God and Texas!
rekamepip
Codger in Training

I used to deer hunt - it was fun when my grandpa had 100 acres next to the Amish community. Hunting at that time was good when my Dad, Uncle and various Cousins used to come out and make it a family affair

When my Dad quit hunting I went with a couple friends but only went a couple times because they just wanted to ride around and get drunk - I haven’t been out since then

Our local UPS man used to bring me Deerskins for me to make drums out of but after doing up a few dozen of those I haven’t messed with doing that either
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Jlando19 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:23 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:42 pm Sweet! All we've had is a small doe and her fawn.
Everyday this week I’ve seen at least two bucks amongst 10 to 12 fawns and does. Today there were four or five bigger bucks and a few little ones. Like a literal herd of deer through my yard.
They do tend to gang up this time of year peacefully enough. When the rut starts the fireworks begin. The bucks battle for territory and the does thin out over a wider range. You won't see herds of deer during this time. The young bucks are easier prey for hunters. The older (usually dominate) bucks are a real challenge most times. Older and wiser they know how to keep unobtrusive and still keep their territory guarded. Nocturnal for the most part they bed down in dense cover for most of the day. At the height of the rut they get a little careless and roam a lot more. Best time to get a big rack for your wall if you are in to that sort of thing. I never was, although I have knocked off a couple of decent ones. I can't hunt any more due to my ancient body not wanting to cooperate. I miss it.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Here are my neighborhood deer (one baby was lagging behind and didn’t get in the picture)

Jlando19

Lostdog5152 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:07 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:23 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:42 pm Sweet! All we've had is a small doe and her fawn.
Everyday this week I’ve seen at least two bucks amongst 10 to 12 fawns and does. Today there were four or five bigger bucks and a few little ones. Like a literal herd of deer through my yard.
They do tend to gang up this time of year peacefully enough. When the rut starts the fireworks begin. The bucks battle for territory and the does thin out over a wider range. You won't see herds of deer during this time. The young bucks are easier prey for hunters. The older (usually dominate) bucks are a real challenge most times. Older and wiser they know how to keep unobtrusive and still keep their territory guarded. Nocturnal for the most part they bed down in dense cover for most of the day. At the height of the rut they get a little careless and roam a lot more. Best time to get a big rack for your wall if you are in to that sort of thing. I never was, although I have knocked off a couple of decent ones. I can't hunt any more due to my ancient body not wanting to cooperate. I miss it.
Thanks for the insight. When I finally make it out there. I’ll be sure to share my story here.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Jlando19

Ronv69 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:47 am
Texas is an expensive place to hunt. In other states people hunt on public land. We don't have much in Texas and it gets crowded and the other hunters can be "not nice". I used to hunt on my friends lease that he paid $3500 per year for. I just love sitting in a tree with a rifle. I don't care if I shoot anything. In Wimberley you can walk up to them and cut their throat, no rifle needed.
You ain’t ever lying. I looked up deer leases lasting just for fun . Even if I could afford it, it would be hard to justify. It’s cheap to hunt with a bow on public land but that’s a skill I don’t currently possess. They are like dogs out here in Wimberley. I threw a rock at one the other day and it came closer like I was going to feed it. Lol.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.