The " sweet spot " of a whiskey bottle

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:46 am Off topic while managing to keep it on topic, am I the only one who's ever tried those "aging sticks" in some rotgut whiskey to see if they improved?
Those will work. You can also try toasting them yourself with a torch to add more charred flavor. If you really want to experiment, all you need is some ‘white dog’ whiskey or new make and experiment with different amounts of different types of wood, and different char levels on them. But, it is very easy to over do it, so a little at a time is the way to go. That is rapid aging style. You’ll never experience flavors like a real barrel after some years, but it is very good.

A good rapid aged spirit on the market is Tim Smith’s Wood Fired Climax Moonshine. Its rapid aged for 24hrs using wood in a ultrasonic machine pretty much. Its pretty damn tasty.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:09 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:46 am Off topic while managing to keep it on topic, am I the only one who's ever tried those "aging sticks" in some rotgut whiskey to see if they improved?
Those will work. You can also try toasting them yourself with a torch to add more charred flavor. If you really want to experiment, all you need is some ‘white dog’ whiskey or new make and experiment with different amounts of different types of wood, and different char levels on them. But, it is very easy to over do it, so a little at a time is the way to go. That is rapid aging style. You’ll never experience flavors like a real barrel after some years, but it is very good.

A good rapid aged spirit on the market is Tim Smith’s Wood Fired Climax Moonshine. Its rapid aged for 24hrs using wood in a ultrasonic machine pretty much. Its pretty damn tasty.
I'll add that to the list of things to try. I'm actually surprised it's available here
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ronv69 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:19 am Yes, I have noticed that with bourbon it makes a difference for the better. I've been on the bottom 3rd of a bottle of Angel's Envy for 3 years now. It's so good I just drink it in tiny amounts.
Lol , yes . Ive been just nipping a couple 40 year old bottles for a few years now ... God , I dont want it to end :D
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Im not drinking it now [ I wish ] but I just wanted to share a story quick. My dad had one of the early releases of Blantons when they first came on the market sometime in the 80's . He opened it and had , say half , and then it got stuck somewhere in his cabinet till about 98 or so . Man , let me tell ya .... it was so amazing ! I told my dad .... this is what bourbon wants to be . or something like that . Only thing Ive had close is that 40 year old sweet spot bottle of Beams Choice and its half as flavorful
Im glad dad is pretty much a Johnny Walker Blue guy . I dont know how that bottle got pushed back ... probably by accident and the fact that dads memory for things that arent important is almost as bad as mine Mines horrible . I seem to remember only what I have to ... the rest just blows out the ear holes I guess
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I wonder if a fish aquarium pump could force age it, like a kiln does for tobacco.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Plinsc wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:52 pm I wonder if a fish aquarium pump could force age it, like a kiln does for tobacco.
Its people like you that make shit happen from out of the blue . I never would have thought of something like that . I wonder if it would ? they have aerators for wine and they kinda of work but not like a bottle popped a couple hours works . Hmmm
montag

Plinsc wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:52 pm I wonder if a fish aquarium pump could force age it, like a kiln does for tobacco.
Yes. I know a guy's who's making "fast aged" whiskey commercially and conceptually this is the same method.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Walmart will be out of air pump’s tomorrow now! Lol
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Plinsc wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:37 pm Walmart will be out of air pump’s tomorrow now! Lol
:lol:
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I haven’t tried anything yet but wondering on a couple things, how long to force air, does it need to be a closed system?
I think I’ll take one for the team and play with this idea, I’ll get a bottle of Evan Williams Monday (cheap and I like it) start with a mason jar full and taste once a week.
I wonder if I place it all in a sealed cooler so it recirculates the air within would keep the alcohol from evaporating? No idea, just overthinking like every other electrician out there.