Identification and Repair Shops

Presby John-Dave

I'm sure this question gets asked often, but it seems some recommended businesses I've looked into have closed. So I'm asking here.

My lovely wife got me a rotating pipe stand off eBay. It's an antique and in great shape. At any rate, there were several old pipes that came with it. They are in various stages of disrepair and in need of a DEEP clean. The state of these pipes is beyond my abilities, so I'm looking for a trusted, reasonable pipe repair/restoration business to which I may send them.

The pipes in need include (all of them vintage) two Dr. Grabows (a smooth Regal and possibly a smooth Savoy; the latter is not marked other than "Dr. Grabow Imported Briar"), one El Morjane (unclear but might say "72" on the bottom), one Basso, and two no-names that seem to be good quality. One of the no-names says "sterling."

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'll post pictures of them, too. Bear with me, I'm tech-challenged.
Comes meus fuit in illo miserrimo tempore - Sir Walter Raleigh
Presby John-Dave

Image No markings on it that I can see.
Presby John-Dave

Presby John-Dave

Tsal
Forum Decorum

If you are in no hurry with them I will suggest @Thelonious monkfish here at PSF. He does really nice refurbs but has a busy schedule with work.

Floyd Norwood is another repairman but if your looking to keep the original stems you should look elsewhere.
The Troll Whisperer
Presby John-Dave

Tsal wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:46 am If you are in no hurry with them I will suggest @Thelonious monkfish here at PSF. He does really nice refurbs but has a busy schedule with work.

Floyd Norwood is another repairman but if your looking to keep the original stems you should look elsewhere.
It would seem to me that a couple of the stems aren't salvageable. So that shouldn't be a problem with those. Timing wouldn't be an issue at this point either. I have a good rotation of pipes right now in the meantime.

Thank you for recommending them!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I had a very good experience with Briarville. Prices are listed on their website as well as all the info you need.

https://briarville.com/#
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Presby John-Dave wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:40 am
Tsal wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:46 am If you are in no hurry with them I will suggest @Thelonious monkfish here at PSF. He does really nice refurbs but has a busy schedule with work.

It would seem to me that a couple of the stems aren't salvageable. So that shouldn't be a problem with those. Timing wouldn't be an issue at this point either. I have a good rotation of pipes right now in the meantime.

Thank you for recommending them!
You're welcome.
The Troll Whisperer
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Unless there are holes in those stems they seem easily rehabbed by the looks of them. There are fellas here who can help you with a bit through stem . The straight Grabow looks the rim could use to be "topped" a bit. You should try your hand at giving it a go yourself. It's quite satisfying. Good luck either way.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I'm going to agree with @Wildcat on this one. Except for the meer bulldog that either has a broken stem or a missing threaded tenon everything there is a pretty easy clean up. Practice on the one you like the least. And as far as attacking the rim cake... Coffee on a terrycloth rag works amazingly well (I prefer it still warm on the rag. Others say cold. Everyone who has done it agrees that strong strong coffee is the ticket because it is higher in acid) maybe @Thelonious monkfish will have time to pop in and explain the flame method for the stem oxidation.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin