Cigar recommendations and a couple questions

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Has anyone mentioned Finck Cigar Company yet? In-house quality direct from the manufacturer, so to speak, for a fraction of the cost. There is a lot of history there and all sorts of recipes at all sorts of price points.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Puff nstuff

When I smoked more cigars, I remember enjoying Central American maduros in corona and perit corona sizes. Bolivar, Hoyo de Monterrey, Joya de Nicaragua, etc.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
saltedplug

ncrobb wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:08 pm I’ve smoked maybe 10-12 real cigars in my life comprised mainly of Macanudo Cafe and Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real. Anyone have recommendations for other decent quality mild cigars?

Do cigars age like some pipe tobaccos do?

Is my understanding right that most of the flavor comes from the wrapper? If so what’s the big deal about the blending of the filler?

Does size effect taste or just how long it takes to smoke it?
"Some pipe tobacco" - No, tobacco is an organic substance subject to fermentation by chemical change. All tobacco changes over time; it's inevitable. Now some tobacco ages (ferments) in a way that is pleasurable if you are willing to trade the more vibrant tastes of the fresh for the more mellow and melded tastes of the aged. VA ages best due to its higher content of sugar. Gives the chemicals something to eat, I guess.

"Most of the flavor comes from the wrapper?" True, but I could never tell the difference, but then again tasting was my never forte. Still I favored cigars with a 44-48 ring and was turned off by the gordo ring of a 56. But if you like them, you do. The blending of the filler is to me the heart of blending which it takes years to learn, which constitutes the cigar's basic taste. You might think of the wrapper as potentiating the taste of the filler.

Size does affect taste. For instance, take Cigar Aficonado's ratings. They gave the My Father Le Bijou a 97 rating. This is stratospherically high rating which was gave to the box-pressed torpedo, which can be had as a box for only $ 257.00:)). Cigars are a rich man's game. Anyway CA rated the torpedo so highly, not the other vitolas. So size does affect taste. But the blender does seek uniformity across vitolas.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

saltedplug wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:01 pm
ncrobb wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:08 pm I’ve smoked maybe 10-12 real cigars in my life comprised mainly of Macanudo Cafe and Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real. Anyone have recommendations for other decent quality mild cigars?

Is my understanding right that most of the flavor comes from the wrapper? If so what’s the big deal about the blending of the filler?

"Some pipe tobacco" - No, tobacco is an organic substance subject to fermentation by chemical change. All tobacco changes over time; it's inevitable. Now some tobacco ages (ferments) in a way that is pleasurable if you are willing to trade the more vibrant tastes of the fresh for the more mellow and melded tastes of the aged. VA ages best due to its higher content of sugar. Gives the chemicals something to eat, I guess.

"Most of the flavor comes from the wrapper?" True, but I could never tell the difference, but then again tasting was my never forte. Still I favored cigars with a 44-48 ring and was turned off by the gordo ring of a 56. But if you like them, you do. The blending of the filler is to me the heart of blending which it takes years to learn, which constitutes the cigar's basic taste. You might think of the wrapper as potentiating the taste of the filler.

Size does affect taste. For instance, take Cigar Aficonado's ratings. They gave the My Father Le Bijou a 97 rating. This is stratospherically high rating which was gave to the box-pressed torpedo, which can be had as a box for only $ 257.00:)). Cigars are a rich man's game. Anyway CA rated the torpedo so highly, not the other vitolas. So size does affect taste. But the blender does seek uniformity across vitolas.
What is a vitola?

I am not being funny when I say this, but, thank you for this response. I find it very interesting, with a lot to ponder.

I also find cigars a rich man's game, which is why I pretend to be a rich man by smoking machine mades. Like you, tasting is not my forté. Good things are wasted on me and I am on a budget.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:35 pm
saltedplug wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:01 pm

What is a vitola?

I am not being funny when I say this, but, thank you for this response. I find it very interesting, with a lot to ponder.

I also find cigars a rich man's game, which is why I pretend to be a rich man by smoking machine mades. Like you, tasting is not my forté. Good things are wasted on me and I am on a budget.
Basiically , a Vitola is a term for cigar shapes in general

All the above are Vitolas ^^^^^^^
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:43 pm

Basiically , a Vitola is a term for cigar shapes in general

All the above are Vitolas ^^^^^^^

You are officially making my head hurt. I dislike learning new things. I prize my varied vocabulary in real life and now I am stumped by VITOLA?!?!!!?
Luckily, it is too many letters for Wordle. Maybe that is why I don't know it.

I would not ask if I already knew the answer. Thank you for schooling me. :king:
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
saltedplug

"Your response was very interesting, with a lot to ponder." Thank you for the compliment!

If you don't know something, please ask. We're all in this together. Be respectful but pester those who seem to know until they pay attention to you:)). On a different board on which I participated despite that, at that time, I had quit smoking, when a guy would talk about a grand cigar that he was going to smoke, I'd approach him afterward about his experience. They always responded, and I got a vicarious thrill!