Cigar recommendations and a couple questions

ncrobb
Founding Member

I’ve smoked maybe 10-12 real cigars in my life comprised mainly of Macanudo Cafe and Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real. Anyone have recommendations for other decent quality mild cigars?

Do cigars age like some pipe tobaccos do?

Is my understanding right that most of the flavor comes from the wrapper? If so what’s the big deal about the blending of the filler?

Does size effect taste or just how long it takes to smoke it?
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ok .. Ill try not to type 5 huge paragraphs . Gotta think how I can condense all that . Btw , Merry Christmas , Rob .. I hope all is well
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

You know, I'd recommend Alec Bradley white gold. Mild, pleasant, cheap as hell. Not going to impress your friends but should definitely agree with your tastebuds
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Cigars age wonderfully , especially amongst spanish cedar . I take the cellophane off when I age . Theres discussion about that of course . Cellophane is a product from wood and " breaths , so folks say it should stay on . I say what the gee willikers ever ... have the wrapper directly touch the cedar . The aging seems to get rid of any " meh " flavor and the cigar , imho , just gets so much better but it takes time , like all things worth it do

The wrapper touches the lips and tongue , so theres that , but the layers make the whole package . The binder and filler are important and the blend of the filler is as well . When you buy a cigar , you can look directly at the open end of the cigar and mostly tell if theres a good amount of blending going on or not , If not , that isnt a bad thing . I was just hanging out with Javier Placensia a few months ago . He and I were pals back in Tampa and we were discussing this last I saw him . There are blenders that dedicate themselves to blending .. its pretty intricate , as it has to do with different leaf , fermentation etc .. Its a thing

Size . It seems width is the thing these days . Its said that width allows for better blending . I think that has some truth but it also kind of relinquishes the actual point of blending , if thats only what it was about . Its true to a point ..but show me a company that can make a stellar blended corona and thats someone that knows how to blend . The Cuban Bolivar company , whom are off the chart , can make a freaking corona man .. omg ! I bet width makes it easier to blend but then you get into draw at some point . Ive always enjoyed a Lonsdale sized cigar [ 6.5x42/3 ] . The draw on them is impeccable , theyre wide enough to take blending .. and , ya dont look like as much a schmuck with something as wide as your fist sticking out of your mouth , I swear

Length is time . Density is time also . Length also builds as it goes , further than a shorter cigar , obviously

The newer crowd , Im guessing in time , will be smoking cigars 3 inches in diameter and 10 inches long lol , I swear

As far as something mild to try . Im not the mild expert but for something cheap and enjoyable and quite mild ... I dig the Casa Garcia Connecticut in any of the sizes . Its not as Elegante as the more pricey stuff but its nice and its mild . Its a bundle cigar

For something kinda reasonable in price ... the Casa Blanca white label cigars are mild and nice
For something else kinda reasonable but not really , lol .. a Licenciado's .

Im more of a Medium / medium plus cigar smoker . My current favorite cigar for a bit now is the Zino Platinum Scepter in whatever size ... it has it all but I cant really afford them . I lean toward El Rey del Mundo and Punch . The Punch Pita Maduro is killer

For me , the best legal cigar ..... but ridiculous in price
https://mikescigars.com/cigars/brands/l ... no-2-tubes

If I could justify paying for them ... Id smoke one a day every day . But no

Jeez .. now I want a Zino . I got 1 left . I was thinking of smoking it new years eve . I may have two ... if I do , Ill see yas tomorrow
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

If you’re just dipping your toes into the cigar world, you can’t go wrong with a Brick House. Any vitola will do. Fantastic cigar for the money. Loads of great cigar companies to choose from, you just have to determine your flavor profile and choose accordingly but a brick house is a great starting point IMO.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Mild, decent, affordable... watch cigarpage for deals and check cigarbid too. I don't smoke much mild stuff but can recommend a few. Ave Maria Immaculata, Gilbert Oliva Reserva, Oliva G series, Quickdraw Connecticut, anything with Candela wrapper, AB Prensado is not cheap but damn good, and Perdomo Lot 23 can be found for a deal too, I lke the sungrown.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

I agree with the AB White Gold and Brick House cigar recommendations
+ CAO Golds are good too
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Forgot about the brick house fumas
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
ncrobb
Founding Member

Thanks guys. I have a JRs in the town south of me and a hand rolled cigar company called Flor De America about 20 mins away so I figured to branch out and explore the world.

My world has been a series of crazy events over the last year so I drop in when I can. @Ruffinogold I sure do miss East TN. That little area of the South you’re in up to where I was IS God’s Country. Merry Christmas to you as well.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Yeah brick house like has been mentioned . Another Newman product thats off the chart is Cuesta Rey Centenario ... the tubed toro is mild but flavor . It doesnt change up a lot smoking it down ... and thats a good thing because its great and doesnt need to . Just builds a bit