2023 Dr Grabow POY mail in offer

rekamepip
Codger in Training

Background:
ENDURANCE
Dr Grabow's 2022 Special Pipes
In 1914 Sir Ernest Shackleton, a renowned British Antarctic explorer, led an expedition on the ship ‘Endurance’, with the objective of crossing the Antarctic continent from one side to the other via the South Pole, a feat never before accomplished. However, an early onset of winter caused the ship to be trapped in ice and over a series of months was crushed and finally sank before reaching the Antarctic continent. The crew escaped and for months camped on the ice before sailing in three lifeboats to Elephant Island. In a desperate attempt to find rescue, a small group including Shackleton and his New Zealand captain, Frank Worsley – a renowned navigator – set sail in one of the semi-open lifeboats – the ‘James Caird’ – for a Norwegian whaling station on South Georgia Island some 800 miles away. Their voyage through perhaps the roughest, coldest, most dangerous seas in the world became known as one of the greatest feats of navigation in maritime history. It was successful and all of Shackleton’s party left on Elephant Island were subsequently rescued.
A Truly Committed Pipe Smoker
One of the group who were rescued from Elephant Island was a pipe-smoking Canadian, William Blakewell – known as ‘Mac’. When ‘Mac’ finally ran out of tobacco he broke two of his well-used pipes into little pieces and boiled the pieces with a local, tough, dry grass which absorbed the flavour of his old pipes. He dried the grass, finely chopped it up, put it in his remaining pipe and lit it. He shared his lit pipe around and his colleagues enjoyed what become known as genuine ‘Elephant Island Mixture’.
We do not know of a more committed pipe-smoker anywhere in history than ‘Mac’ and his commitment to his pipe smoking so aptly reflects the name of the expedition’s ship and the bravery of the expedition members. And so we named this year’s Dr Grabow pipe special ‘ENDURANCE’.
As with our previous Special Pipes, “ENDURANCE” comes in two shapes, straight and bent with both smooth and rusticated finishes in a dark, rich black stain.
The price of the smooth finish shapes is $45.00 and the rusticated versions is $44.00.
Both come in a velvet presentation bag.
Dr Grabow’s past special pipes have commemorated historic events and the actions of brave people. The men of the ‘Endurance’ and their resolute bravery in the face of huge adversity are fitting additions to our special pipes collection and we know that the ‘Endurance’ will be a valued addition to your pipe collection.
Dr Grabow PipesImage
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Awesome story and awesome looking pipe. Can you fwd me the email? I want one
ncrobb
Founding Member

Thanks. I looked all over the website and couldn’t find anything about it.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

ncrobb wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:59 am Thanks. I looked all over the website and couldn’t find anything about it.
These are mail order only and you have to be in the email. You have to request it every year. I got it a year ago when I asked. Grabow is really back in the times. They could really use some updating
rekamepip
Codger in Training

If anyone would like for me to forward the email information just send me your email address in a private message
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

rekamepip wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:09 pm If anyone would like for me to forward the email information just send me your email address in a private message
Got the email. Have you mail ordered through them? It says they pay shipping if you purchase a pipe.

Just want to make sure i’m sending them the right amount. It should just be $44 flat for a Rustic Endurance pipe with no shipping charge right?
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:14 pm
rekamepip wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:09 pm If anyone would like for me to forward the email information just send me your email address in a private message
Got the email. Have you mail ordered through them? It says they pay shipping if you purchase a pipe.

Just want to make sure i’m sending them the right amount. It should just be $44 flat for a Rustic Endurance pipe with no shipping charge right?
I’ve ordered POY pipes twice now and didn’t pay shipping in the past
I think your good to go
rekamepip
Codger in Training

:If not blame it on me
:lol:
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

rekamepip wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:29 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:14 pm

I’ve ordered POY pipes twice now and didn’t pay shipping in the past
I think your good to go
Man it would be cool to see all of those Grabow POYs but I don’t think a resource exist for that. I wish they had more shape options as well