Health Wake Up Call

simplepipes
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:06 pm Never cared neither about drinking from the tap. Until I moved here and everyones water stinks like Sulfur.
That would likely be hydrogen sulfate caused by the Water Heater Anode reacting with Hard Water.

Water here in KC tastes like pool water . . . I use bottled to drink and for Tea.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

simplepipes wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:16 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:06 pm Never cared neither about drinking from the tap. Until I moved here and everyones water stinks like Sulfur.
That would likely be hydrogen sulfate caused by the Water Heater Anode reacting with Hard Water.

Water here in KC tastes like pool water . . . I use bottled to drink and for Tea.

-sp
I’ve heard about that. A lot of people have well water here. I have city water where I live. But it only took a small investment and now I have no worries. Change the filter every few months and a couple dollars in salt a year.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Update: Doin' ok so far. No sugar for a week and a half, as well as cutting way back on carbs. I was a pretty nasty bugger for a while, and am still a little edgy. Anyway, what I've noticed is I can eat til I'm full, but never really get that sense of satisfaction I used to get from a cheeseburger, a pizza, or a roast beef dinner. Is there something I need to add to what I'm eating? Or will I simply adjust?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

MikeDennison wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:14 pm Update: Doin' ok so far. No sugar for a week and a half, as well as cutting way back on carbs. I was a pretty nasty bugger for a while, and am still a little edgy. Anyway, what I've noticed is I can eat til I'm full, but never really get that sense of satisfaction I used to get from a cheeseburger, a pizza, or a roast beef dinner. Is there something I need to add to what I'm eating? Or will I simply adjust?
Fat helps keep you full. Also, pertaining to keto, normally you stop eating when you feel full. This is actually when you are overfull. When your body adjust to a keto diet, you stop eating because your don’t feel like eating anymore. And that is what its like when your actually full.

To stop body jitters/flu like symptons, you need more elctrolytes (salt). For an easy fix I recommend LMNT drink mixers. 1 a day will keep all the bad feelings away. They are delicious.

But just eat more salt and electrolytes and it’ll help out.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:14 pm Update: Doin' ok so far. No sugar for a week and a half, as well as cutting way back on carbs. I was a pretty nasty bugger for a while, and am still a little edgy. Anyway, what I've noticed is I can eat til I'm full, but never really get that sense of satisfaction I used to get from a cheeseburger, a pizza, or a roast beef dinner. Is there something I need to add to what I'm eating? Or will I simply adjust?
You'll most likely adjust, it takes a while. I usually keep peanuts, almonds, stuff like that on hand to get the crunchy texture that I miss. It's good for filling a hole when you need a little extra something post meal time.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Thanks, @Piping Abe and @Mr Beardsley...I'll give your tips a try.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

MikeDennison wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:45 pm Thanks, @Piping Abe and @Mr Beardsley...I'll give your tips a try.
The reason you need extra salt/electrolytes is because they help retain water in your body. Forgot to mention that.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:18 pm
Fat helps keep you full. Also, pertaining to keto, normally you stop eating when you feel full. This is actually when you are overfull. When your body adjust to a keto diet, you stop eating because your don’t feel like eating anymore. And that is what its like when your actually full.

To stop body jitters/flu like symptons, you need more elctrolytes (salt). For an easy fix I recommend LMNT drink mixers. 1 a day will keep all the bad feelings away. They are delicious.

But just eat more salt and electrolytes and it’ll help out.
All this health talk ... you better whoop my ass in arm wrestling 😆
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

With the wife being back on a low carb kick right now, she's all over the intrawebs and instagrams for recipes. She found a winner if you like sweet drinks and it's simple as hell. Just Sparkling Ice black raspberry water with heavy whipping cream. Talk about sinful and guilt free...

Pint glass with ice. About 3/4 full of the sparkling ice. 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:05 pm With the wife being back on a low carb kick right now, she's all over the intrawebs and instagrams for recipes. She found a winner if you like sweet drinks and it's simple as hell. Just Sparkling Ice black raspberry water with heavy whipping cream. Talk about sinful and guilt free...

Pint glass with ice. About 3/4 full of the sparkling ice. 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Holy Snappin' Turtles, Batman!