Health Wake Up Call

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:11 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:05 pm With the wife being back on a low carb kick right now, she's all over the intrawebs and instagrams for recipes. She found a winner if you like sweet drinks and it's simple as hell. Just Sparkling Ice black raspberry water with heavy whipping cream. Talk about sinful and guilt free...

Pint glass with ice. About 3/4 full of the sparkling ice. 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Holy Snappin' Turtles, Batman!
I guess it's a keto alternative to starblechs pink drink. It's fantastic
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:22 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:05 pm With the wife being back on a low carb kick right now, she's all over the intrawebs and instagrams for recipes. She found a winner if you like sweet drinks and it's simple as hell. Just Sparkling Ice black raspberry water with heavy whipping cream. Talk about sinful and guilt free...

Pint glass with ice. About 3/4 full of the sparkling ice. 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
I don't do sweet drinks very often, but heck...I'm tempted to give that a whirl!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:24 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:22 pm
I don't do sweet drinks very often, but heck...I'm tempted to give that a whirl!
I've got a terrible sweet tooth most of the time. But I can convince myself that a sparkling ice / polar / fruity water is good enough often enough that I don't crave sweets
Wildcat
Codger in Training

We haven't eaten at a McDonald's since I can't remember when and I'm about to start, but this fella at work, also working the keto lifestyle, walks by me with this:

Apparently the fast food chains have an à la carte menu. Something he learned from a keto website somewhere. Not bad in a pinch I suppose.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:38 pm We haven't eaten at a McDonald's since I can't remember when and I'm about to start, but this fella at work, also working the keto lifestyle, walks by me with this:

Apparently the fast food chains have an à la carte menu. Something he learned from a keto website somewhere. Not bad in a pinch I suppose.
Yessir a lot of the fast food joints will accommodate for keto with lettuce wrapped burgers, plain patties, all meat burritos, etc. One of my favorite Mexican places always makes me a taco salad with no rice or beans, extra meat, extra guac and I just don't eat the shell they serve it in
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Sweet Italian sausage sliced into coins, sauteed in olive oil/balsamic glaze along with onions, baby bella shrooms, and halved grape tomatoes. Served over a bed of arugula, and topped with irregular cuts of Colby cheese & slices of boiled egg.

That was supper.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Well, it's been two weeks today. Two weeks without sugar. Two weeks eating less carbohydrates all told than I used to eat in one day before. I wish I could say I felt better, but I don't. Fact is, I'm still pretty freakin' miserable! HA! I've lost 4lbs, so that's good...but at an average of 2lbs per week, I wouldn't say it's melting off. Dear Sweetie made New England Boiled Dinner for supper tonight; corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, & parsnips. I wanted to pile my plate high and wide, but I opted for the corned beef, cabbage, and a side of steamed broccoli. The Old Folks got all the good stuff. I don't begrudge'em, but I would have paid money to bury my face in a potato/parsnip mash! :D

Anyway...enough winging and wining. I'm stickin' to it, no two ways about it.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

MikeDennison wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:45 pm Well, it's been two weeks today. Two weeks without sugar. Two weeks eating less carbohydrates all told than I used to eat in one day before. I wish I could say I felt better, but I don't. Fact is, I'm still pretty freakin' miserable! HA! I've lost 4lbs, so that's good...but at an average of 2lbs per week, I wouldn't say it's melting off. Dear Sweetie made New England Boiled Dinner for supper tonight; corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, & parsnips. I wanted to pile my plate high and wide, but I opted for the corned beef, cabbage, and a side of steamed broccoli. The Old Folks got all the good stuff. I don't begrudge'em, but I would have paid money to bury my face in a potato/parsnip mash! :D

Your doing a good job. Just remember that fruits and all carbs contain sugar. And even things you would never think about. They put it in everything. Always read the label.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:45 pm Well, it's been two weeks today. Two weeks without sugar. Two weeks eating less carbohydrates all told than I used to eat in one day before. I wish I could say I felt better, but I don't. Fact is, I'm still pretty freakin' miserable! HA! I've lost 4lbs, so that's good...but at an average of 2lbs per week, I wouldn't say it's melting off. Dear Sweetie made New England Boiled Dinner for supper tonight; corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, & parsnips. I wanted to pile my plate high and wide, but I opted for the corned beef, cabbage, and a side of steamed broccoli. The Old Folks got all the good stuff. I don't begrudge'em, but I would have paid money to bury my face in a potato/parsnip mash! :D

You can do cauliflower mash but honestly it's not that great. I prefer to do sautéed cauliflower florets or cauliflower rice. Either one of those well seasoned and well browned are better than mash
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:51 pm

Your doing a good job. Just remember that fruits and all carbs contain sugar. And even things you would never think about. They put it in everything. Always read the label.
I refuse to go quite that far. I go on moderation and cut the really crazy carbs and starches. If some carrots or an apple are the worst thing I consume in a day I'm light years ahead of most of the population