Pre-Republic Peterson Ghost.

saulgoldie

Speaking of pre-Republic Petes...I have a nice old XL90 that has sweet ghost. I tried the alcohol and salt soak. (What is the salt supposed to do, anyway?) I did it several times. But the ghost is still there. And...

What is the retort method? I know what a retort is. But...??

Anyway, I do like the pipe. It smokes well. But I would like to purge that residual taste. Thanks in advance.

Saul
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I have no experience with retorts other than watching youtube and articles. Many different types. Heres a good example.

https://rebornpipes.com/2012/10/17/what ... t-is-used/

Make sure you trim the cake back as much as possible. I’ve heard used coffee grounds smeared in the bowl and left to soak for a bit might help as well.
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

saulgoldie wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:23 am Speaking of pre-Republic Petes...I have a nice old XL90 that has sweet ghost. I tried the alcohol and salt soak. (What is the salt supposed to do, anyway?) I did it several times. But the ghost is still there. And...

What is the retort method? I know what a retort is. But...??

Anyway, I do like the pipe. It smokes well. But I would like to purge that residual taste. Thanks in advance.

Saul
Nah the pipe is ruined. Send it to me so I can dispose of it properly. ;)
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

In all seriousness it may take several salt and alcohol treatments to get rid of the ghost. If all else fails just dedicate it to an even stronger ghosting tobacco and fight fire with fire.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

If it's a system pipe you have to do the salt and alcohol in the well too
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

pipedrum22 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:43 am Nah the pipe is ruined. Send it to me so I can dispose of it properly. ;)
:lol: :lol:
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

First off , did you ream the chamber out ?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Smoke it out.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:17 pmSmoke it out.
This.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:35 pm First off , did you ream the chamber out ?
I say this only because if the pipe isnt reamed .. lol , it would take forever . Also , the salt is like a stabilizer . Without it , youd just be pouring whiskey down the chamber and out the end . Ive read where the salt and alcohol have a chemical this and that , that draws out crap but I honesty dont know whats going on in there other than , once reamed , its a method that will clean and freshen a pipe . If youre dealing with a really nasty ghost .. it calls for an exorcism and they generally take a little longer so it might need to be done more than once or twice .
With difficult ones like that Ive done a salt whiskey treatment , which by the way I always wash out the interior with whiskey after cleaning the salt out and then after drying Ill smoke a burley in it to see where its at . If its still funky then Ill do it again but I wont do two in a row . I alternate . That may take longer for all I know but I just like knowing where its at and seeing where it ends up at the end of the bowl . I prefer SWR for exorcisms but Im thinking the next one I do , which will hopefully not be any time soon , I may use Ace of spades because I think it would do the trick well
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.