Ketchup

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

This is a long read but I am sure it is well written. I thought I would share for people with the patience to read so we can talk catsup. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004 ... -conundrum

I am a couple paragraphs in and I will finish it, eventually. Anticipation is making me wait.

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I rarely use the stuff. When I do it has to be cold.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

My dearly departed sister in law used to eat ketchup sammiches as a kid. Dear Sweetie puts the stuff on everything. In our younger years, three spices sat on the table at each meal; salt, pepper, and ketchup.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
colorduke

If I use Ketchup,which is once in a blue moon I use Heinz.The history channel had a great show on how Henry Heinz got started.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I stumbled across heinz "simply ketchup" recently. Apparently there's no artificial sweeteners in it or some such. I just bought it because it was on a good sale. Seems to be a bit more flavorful and possibly even a little spicy compared to the usual fare
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:27 pm I stumbled across heinz "simply ketchup" recently. Apparently there's no artificial sweeteners in it or some such. I just bought it because it was on a good sale. Seems to be a bit more flavorful and possibly even a little spicy compared to the usual fare
We stopped using ketchup for the most part, but we do have this in the fridge and you're right, it's very good.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:30 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:27 pm I stumbled across heinz "simply ketchup" recently. Apparently there's no artificial sweeteners in it or some such. I just bought it because it was on a good sale. Seems to be a bit more flavorful and possibly even a little spicy compared to the usual fare
We stopped using ketchup for the most part, but we do have this in the fridge and you're right, it's very good.
Yeah, I don't use much ketchup at all. Make "secret sauce" with it and stuff like that. I did mix a splash of El Yucateco into some the last time I made onion rings in the air fryer and it was awesome
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

"A typical five-year-old consumes about sixty per cent more ketchup than a typical forty-year-old." I just read this in an article about ketchup. I am 57 and I hardly ever eat ketchup. I like it but I rarely eat anything that pairs well with it.

I eat much more mustard than the typical five-year-old.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:14 pm "A typical five-year-old consumes about sixty per cent more ketchup than a typical forty-year-old." I just read this in an article about ketchup. I am 57 and I hardly ever eat ketchup. I like it but I rarely eat anything that pairs well with it.

You're 57 and heinz has 57 on every bottle. Coincidence? I think not
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:22 pm
Citizen B wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:14 pm "A typical five-year-old consumes about sixty per cent more ketchup than a typical forty-year-old." I just read this in an article about ketchup. I am 57 and I hardly ever eat ketchup. I like it but I rarely eat anything that pairs well with it.

You're 57 and heinz has 57 on every bottle. Coincidence? I think not
I love Hienz 57 Sauce. I also rarely taste it. I only like it on baked potatoes with lots of butter, salt, and black pepper. This is not Mrs. King food so I have not enjoyed it for awhile. I have been eyeing it in my grocer's aisle recently.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.