Apple Slice

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

This snippet caught my eye in another thread:
colorduke wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:54 am Squeeze fresh blueberry juice in tobacco or split blueberries and place in tobacco like they did with Apple slices.Just my 2 cents.
Then it hit me.

Is it my imagination or do we not have a thread about the merits of keeping an apple slice in a pouch/jar/tin to keep the tobacco moist?

If we do it has been a very long time. Would anyone like to talk about the mold risks and whatnot?

To start, I am in favor. I know I am in the minority but I also know I am not alone.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

Never tried the apple slice. But I’ve rehydrated some tobacco with orange peel and it worked but obviously imparted orange flavor to the tobacco.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I'll pass. I have tobacco that's been jarred for years and still have to let it dry out
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

My preference is to just rehydrate with a damp paper towel. It works on a great deal of tobacco after only an hour or so and doesn’t have any flavors pass to it like an orange or apple would.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I just finished with a panic hydration (not necessary, turned out) on some double down and Rimboche SJ with a 67g Integra humidity pack in a bowl. Worked fantastic. Technology is better sometimes.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I'm not averse to the apple slice experiment. I've got some very crispy Uhles 00 that I think is just white burely, ain't it? I wouldn't mind it tasting like apple. But as @Citizen B asked, what are the risks of mold? How long should one let it stay in the tobacco?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Wildcat
Codger in Training

I'm thinking that the old timers would rehydrate a pouch or maybe even more quantity, but it wasn't going to be around long enough to develop mold. I've always wanted to try the apple slice. Why I haven't, I don't know. Distilled water and a paper towel is easier I suppose. I'll have to change this and give it a whirl.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:20 pm I'm thinking that the old timers would rehydrate a pouch or maybe even more quantity, but it wasn't going to be around long enough to develop mold. I've always wanted to try the apple slice. Why I haven't, I don't know. Distilled water and a paper towel is easier I suppose. I'll have to change this and give it a whirl.
I would guess that they'd toss a sliver in a pouch that they'd carry on the daily to keep it moist. This was also in the days prior to PG as a humectant and Monsanto engineered apples
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:25 pm
Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:20 pm I'm thinking that the old timers would rehydrate a pouch or maybe even more quantity, but it wasn't going to be around long enough to develop mold. I've always wanted to try the apple slice. Why I haven't, I don't know. Distilled water and a paper towel is easier I suppose. I'll have to change this and give it a whirl.
I would guess that they'd toss a sliver in a pouch that they'd carry on the daily to keep it moist. This was also in the days prior to PG as a humectant and Monsanto engineered apples
That. Yes sir!!

PS) Monsanto is pure evil.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Presby John-Dave

I was told that an apple is a good way to go by one of my professors. As for how long, he said a couple of days should be fine. If more moisture is needed, replace the apple slice. He also said to put it on the opposite end of your jar and not have it touch the tobacco.
Comes meus fuit in illo miserrimo tempore - Sir Walter Raleigh