Apple Slice

kschatey

I've read about the Apple slice method before, but have also been told that it's an old wives tale. I haven't tried it to know either way, but it's been filed away in my brain if the need ever arises.
Puff nstuff

I like the idea of orange peel; I would think it might be less prone to going moldy than an apple slice, and it should introduce some nice aromatics.
I normally just use the little aluminum clad clay button.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Puff nstuff wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:04 pm I like the idea of orange peel; I would think it might be less prone to going moldy than an apple slice, and it should introduce some nice aromatics.
I normally just use the little aluminum clad clay button.
I use a little folded up piece of paper towel wet with distilled water.

That said, I too would like to try apple, orange, lemon etc...

Let it be known I won't try doing it, but I would like too.

I come here to live vicariously through others, so someone hop to it. :lurk:
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:17 pm
I come here to live vicariously through others, so someone hop to it. :lurk:
A tip of my fedora your way. :king:
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Sheridan

Dock leaf in the pouch, is another 'old school' remedy for dry tobacco. My father used to do that one on the odd occasion he'd get a dry tin or pouch of his beloved condor.
I used to do it too, now I just go with a wet paper towel in a tupperware container.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Apple slice is fine . It doesnt impart but maybe a tiny whiff and only at the beginning . It should be swapped out before it turns into a shit show . I wouldnt use an orange .

That said ^^^^

They been making pipe tobacco humidors for a couple hundred years , Im guessing . They work and they can be pretty or cool or both
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:57 pm Apple slice is fine . It doesnt impart but maybe a tiny whiff and only at the beginning . It should be swapped out before it turns into a shit show . I wouldnt use an orange .

That said ^^^^

They been making pipe tobacco humidors for a couple hundred years , Im guessing . They work and they can be pretty or cool or both
Hey, man. Have you heard of inflation? I don't have money for a pipe tobacco humidor. I can barely afford an apple. I'll buy the apple, put a slice in my tobacco, and eat the rest.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:53 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:57 pm Apple slice is fine . It doesnt impart but maybe a tiny whiff and only at the beginning . It should be swapped out before it turns into a shit show . I wouldnt use an orange .

That said ^^^^

Hey, man. Have you heard of inflation? I don't have money for a pipe tobacco humidor. I can barely afford an apple. I'll buy the apple, put a slice in my tobacco, and eat the rest.
Amen , brother :thumbs:

Before my grandfather switched over to a black cavendish , he did the apple slice ... he knew what he was doing
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I bought apples today. Only place any slices are going is in my mouth
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:35 pm I bought apples today. Only place any slices are going is in my mouth
Put one in a pouch with Sutliff and the apple will start to swell up