A simple question to anyone to answer.

RedAndy

I opened an 8 oz. can of G.L. Pease Navigator a couple months ago(metal lid removed), just today I went to take a second smoke from this ( a have several tins opened available and I switch once a while tobaccos to vary, so I had returned to this for a 2nd time), and to my surprise the plastic lid was completely loose and thus the can was opened and the flakes had dried out. Now I am pretty sure I closed the lid the first time. It is possible it opened by itself? It has aged Virginia with rum added, so probably the gas inside popped up or am I just imagining stuff?
An important fact is that the can is on top of a WiFi internet radio that every night I tune on for a couple of hours, probably some radiation from the WiFi helped, perhaps? I just want to have a clue before I jump to conclusions and begin pointing fingers at someone for touching and ruining my stuff 😖😤. By the way very good product.
Thanks to anyone that answer this either way.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I'm no expert, but those lids are usually pretty tight. I think it's pretty unlikely that tobacco aging for what seems like a short period would cause the lid to pop off...unless it wasn't a well fitting lid to begin with. Dunno about the wifi. Just my two cents.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Might be a little fermentation and some warmth from the wi-fi? Who knows?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Wildcat
Codger in Training

RedAndy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:14 am I opened an 8 oz. can of G.L. Pease Navigator a couple months ago(metal lid removed), just today I went to take a second smoke from this ( a have several tins opened available and I switch once a while tobaccos to vary, so I had returned to this for a 2nd time), and to my surprise the plastic lid was completely loose and thus the can was opened and the flakes had dried out. Now I am pretty sure I closed the lid the first time. It is possible it opened by itself? It has aged Virginia with rum added, so probably the gas inside popped up or am I just imagining stuff?
An important fact is that the can is on top of a WiFi internet radio that every night I tune on for a couple of hours, probably some radiation from the WiFi helped, perhaps? I just want to have a clue before I jump to conclusions and begin pointing fingers at someone for touching and ruining my stuff 😖😤. By the way very good product.
Thanks to anyone that answer this either way.
I'd say your answer is highlighted above. Pretty sure means there's some doubt. The older you get, the "pretty sures" flow like wine. At my age, I'm am well acquainted with pretty sure :lol:
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
ncrobb
Founding Member

@RedAndy , good morning and welcome to the PSF. I can’t add any more than what my esteemed colleagues have offered. It’s great to see a new member jump in.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Toss all of it in a Quart Mason jar. Put the dry flakes on the bottom. They’ll absorb the moisture from the rest of the tobacco and come back to normal.
Briar Lee

I’ve found it’s always helpful to have kids in the house so I can blame them, for such occurrences.

If children cannot be publicly blamed, I silently chalk it off to being married.

If my wife cannot possibly be guilty, then a friend must have done it.

The man in the mirror, is always blameless.:)
Tsal
Forum Decorum

You opened it, now smoke it. Problem solved.
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

The snap on tops are useless to prevent the tobacco from drying out. Only a Ball type jar will retain moisture, especially if you are in a dry climate.
God and Texas!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Yeah mistake 1 was leaving it in the tin followed by setting it on a heat source. Could have caused pressure to build up from the heat, could have distorted the lid, hard to say. On the bright side at least you get to learn how to rehydrate tobacco
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin