Acrylic mouthpiece

Old_Woodsman

Hi all,

I've just bought an estate Savinelli Roma Lucite R model 305 and wonder whats the best way to sanitise the mouthpiece?

Thanks...
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

305 is a nice shape. Most will say don’t use Alcohol because it will weaken and crack the stem. I mean, what the hell man? I just swab it real quick and rub it down. I’m not soaking it in everclear overnight. So I use alcohol. If your really concerned, just use some mild dish soap.

Acrylic is very easy to clean
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:50 am 305 is a nice shape. Most will say don’t use Alcohol because it will weaken and crack the stem. I mean, what the hell man? I just swab it real quick and rub it down. I’m not soaking it in everclear overnight. So I use alcohol. If your really concerned, just use some mild dish soap.

Acrylic is very easy to clean
+1 on this. I use isopropyl, then let the stem air out overnight.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
rekamepip
Codger in Training

A light grade food safe oil such as mineral oil or even olive oil works great to loosen up the tar buildup with a few pipe cleaners
Then it easier to wash up with a dish soap
Dry it
Then a couple pipe cleaners with 90 proof or better whiskey or alcohol or even a good alcohol based mouthwash will finish up the cleaning process
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

rekamepip wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:38 pm A light grade food safe oil such as mineral oil or even olive oil works great to loosen up the tar buildup with a few pipe cleaners
Then it easier to wash up with a dish soap
Dry it
Then a couple pipe cleaners with 90 proof or better whiskey or alcohol or even a good alcohol based mouthwash will finish up the cleaning process
Interesting. I hate acrylic stems so my experience is pretty limited
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

As I mentioned on the other forum where you asked the same question, don't use over 100 proof alcohol as it will cause micro cracks inside the stem. Soap and water is safe.
https://www.tapplastics.com/product_inf ... %20acrylic.
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Whiskey . I use Canadian Mist . Its cheap and cleans pipes and stems .... you can drink it if ya want too .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:04 pm Whiskey . I use Canadian Mist . Its cheap and cleans pipes and stems .... you can drink it if ya want too .
That stuff is drinkable? Good to know :lol:
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:55 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:04 pm Whiskey . I use Canadian Mist . Its cheap and cleans pipes and stems .... you can drink it if ya want too .
Drinkable….. barely
Only if your on a budget and that is all the convenience stores have in stock but I’ve been known to go through that mist before and come out on the other side with a hangover
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

rekamepip wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:12 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:55 pm
Drinkable….. barely
Only if your on a budget and that is all the convenience stores have in stock but I’ve been known to go through that mist before and come out on the other side with a hangover
Sounds like I'll stick with the expensive stuff. Like Evan Williams :lol: