The big cheap bottles of bourbon

rlucas
Member in Good Standing

Jim Beam Black is my go to. Old Grandad is pretty good as well. Old Crow is a sour mash so it really don't mix well with anything. I'm not sure if Old Grandad is in a 1.75 bottle or not.
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:50 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:37 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:09 pm

That black label stuff you sent me a few years ago. Damned if I can remember the name
Oh hell , Id forgotten ... yeah , Virgin Bourbon . Its outstanding
That's the one! Still can't get it here
I asked about that and they said its only in 2 or 3 states for some reason
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ronv69
Founding Member

rlucas wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:44 am Jim Beam Black is my go to. Old Grandad is pretty good as well. Old Crow is a sour mash so it really don't mix well with anything. I'm not sure if Old Grandad is in a 1.75 bottle or not.
Regular 86 proof used to come in a half gallon and a gallon. I only buy the 750 these days.
God and Texas!
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Life is too short for cheap booze.

Sorry, had to say it.
ever forward
Ronv69
Founding Member

arturo7 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:51 am Life is too short for cheap booze.

Sorry, had to say it.
I agree in principle, but bourbon is made the same way for the top shelf as the bottom. I have both and the cheaper old names are the best to me.
God and Texas!
Puff nstuff

For what we have available around here, I'd say the only low cost big bottle worth buying is EW Black. I would say the same for the white label, but I've never seen it in a 1.75. I mean, we have Beam, Old Crow, Ancient Age, Ten High, Early Times - but EW Black is better than all of those. Maybe only Ezra Brooks is in the same ballpark.

And I gotta agree with @arturo7, why bother with the cheapo stuff? For just a few bucks more you've got quality bourbon that tastes really good.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Puff nstuff wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:47 pm For what we have available around here, I'd say the only low cost big bottle worth buying is EW Black. I would say the same for the white label, but I've never seen it in a 1.75. I mean, we have Beam, Old Crow, Ancient Age, Ten High, Early Times - but EW Black is better than all of those. Maybe only Ezra Brooks is in the same ballpark.

And I gotta agree with @arturo7, why bother with the cheapo stuff? For just a few bucks more you've got quality bourbon that tastes really good.
Hit time in Costa Mesa gets the handles of bonded pretty regular.

I'm going to disagree with you and Arturo because there are some real gems out there for not much coin (see the posts about Virgin Bourbon in this thread) Odds of finding a cheap gem anywhere else but the left coast are much higher because of the pay to play regulations out here
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Puff nstuff

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:17 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:47 pm For what we have available around here, I'd say the only low cost big bottle worth buying is EW Black. I would say the same for the white label, but I've never seen it in a 1.75. I mean, we have Beam, Old Crow, Ancient Age, Ten High, Early Times - but EW Black is better than all of those. Maybe only Ezra Brooks is in the same ballpark.

I'm going to disagree with you and Arturo because there are some real gems out there for not much coin (see the posts about Virgin Bourbon in this thread) Odds of finding a cheap gem anywhere else but the left coast are much higher because of the pay to play regulations out here
Yeah, well...I like bargains as much as the next guy, and have bought plenty of bourbons on the lower end of the spectrum, and have enjoyed many of them. But in the context of 'the big cheap bottles,' what I imagine to be 1.75 liters or larger, I just wouldn't buy one that I didn't already know I liked. And as we both know, in Southern California we don't have a huge variety of bourbon in big bottles to choose from on the regular - trips to places like HI Time or Liquorama notwithstanding. I guess for me if I needed to buy a big bottle for a party or whatever, I'd probably go with EW or Wild Turkey or even Maker's, which cost a bit more, and it wouldn't bother me to pay the premium for something I like.

Good to know they have that white label in the large size!
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Puff nstuff wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:47 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:17 pm

Yeah, well...I like bargains as much as the next guy, and have bought plenty of bourbons on the lower end of the spectrum, and have enjoyed many of them. But in the context of 'the big cheap bottles,' what I imagine to be 1.75 liters or larger, I just wouldn't buy one that I didn't already know I liked. And as we both know, in Southern California we don't have a huge variety of bourbon in big bottles to choose from on the regular - trips to places like HI Time or Liquorama notwithstanding. I guess for me if I needed to buy a big bottle for a party or whatever, I'd probably go with EW or Wild Turkey or even Maker's, which cost a bit more, and it wouldn't bother me to pay the premium for something I like.

Good to know they have that white label in the large size!
Funny, I don’t even enjoy makers anymore. If I was going to spring for a bottle of that I'd just jump to Turkey 101. You're right though, our selection is scant here. And hi time has started running the hype train a little too hard for my taste and carrying a bunch of blended crap nowadays
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

Any bourbon over $40 that I've tasted was worse than the under $30 bottles that I drink. Except for Angels Envy, but I doubt that I will buy that again. It was cheap when I got mine when it first came out, but now it's ridiculous. You guys keep fooling yourselves. 😁
God and Texas!