The perfect pipe

GatorGirl

So all of us have a “perfect pipe” or perhaps, favorite pipe. Have you dedicated it to a particular blend? A particular type of tobacco? How often is it in your rotation or is it a daily driver? What makes it so perfect?
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have a few pipes that I am very fond of. I typically smoke them every day. For me anyway the bit needs to be vulcanite and clench well. The bowl needs to be 7/8 in or a little wider. I tend to go though spells where I am only smoking a couple of things, so I guess something like "serial dedication" is pretty much my smoking style just in general.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

My pipes are dedicated to tobacco. :lol:
In all seriousness, my only criteria is that the bit is comfortable and the pipe is proportionate. I also dedicate my pipes to two maybe three genre's of tobacco i smoke. Brit crap, Americana Codger and fancy.
The Troll Whisperer
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I dedicate a pipe to a specific tobacco when I find what works well. The most important part of a pipe is the stem because that is the part we put in our mouth. If it is not comfortable, the pipe will move along.

My favorite shape is the Bulldog. I prefer 1/8 to 3/4 bent pipes. And right now i’m focusing on lighter pipes with 1.5 inch bowl depth or less.

I don’t think I have a favorite but most of the pipes I own now have some sort of sentimental connection, where I bought them or who gave them to me.

I’m a big believer in that you don’t need many pipes. My ideal would be to have each pipe I own dedicated to each of my favorite blends. So somewhere between 10-20 pipes. But I have more than that for sentimental reasons.
Middle Earth

Perfect pipe for me has drilling and draft that is perfect for me. In this regard I find Rinaldo to be consistently perfect.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

All of my pipes are pretty near perfect for me. If they don't smoke great or fit great they were out the door long ago
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

I've moved to lighter pipes. Rossi piccolos and Ropp etudiants have been great for me. however I do really like the Peterson spigot 999s so there's that
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

BlueRidge wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:47 pm I've moved to lighter pipes. Rossi piccolos and Ropp etudiants have been great for me. however I do really like the Peterson spigot 999s so there's that
Those are both on my radar for a cost effective knockaround type pipe
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:03 pm
BlueRidge wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:47 pm I've moved to lighter pipes. Rossi piccolos and Ropp etudiants have been great for me. however I do really like the Peterson spigot 999s so there's that
Because we can't say cheap anymore. We have to make it sound less offensive. :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Tsal wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:28 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:03 pm
Because we can't say cheap anymore. We have to make it sound less offensive. :lol:
pffft I hope they stay cheap! they're great