Let us talk Scotch

racinghoss

If you love Sazerac (and I agree with your comment), then buy some Wild Turkey Rye. It's very good and under $30. My cabinet will always have some on it.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

A lady friend of mine sent a surprise package that arrived today - signature required. From the topic of the original post, you can surmise what she sent. She knows I'm a Scotch fan but she doesn't know that I rarely stock anything but blue collar brands like Dewars, John Barr, J&B and the like. So she sent me these...
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Longshanks wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:47 amJohn Barr
I like John Barr too. Price point for a handle is good and it's glass, not plastic, a must for me.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Jlando19

I posted this yesterday, but saw this thread this morning. I tried this for the first time in lieu of the 16 yr. The liquor store was out of the 16. I enjoy it a lot.

I got into peaty scotch after splitting a bottle of Laphroaig 10 with this older Frenchman that owned the restaurant I was cooking in at the time. We really built a rapport over my basic understanding of the French language and the fact that I'm Cajun and speak a very rugged version of French myself. I tapped out after the first bottle. He went on to finish half of a second. He then tried to convince me to let him drive me home. Lol. We eventually both got cabs. All that drinking over back wages I was owed. He cut me a check that night, out of his personal account and made sure that I was paid on time everytime there after! We're still good friends till this day, though I refrain from going into his restaurant. He refuses to let me pay. Good memories!
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Longshanks wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:47 am A lady friend of mine sent a surprise package that arrived today - signature required. From the topic of the original post, you can surmise what she sent. She knows I'm a Scotch fan but she doesn't know that I rarely stock anything but blue collar brands like Dewars, John Barr, J&B and the like. So she sent me these...
That Highland Park is gooood stuff. It also has the coolest bottle I have ever seen.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Houtenziel wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:45 am
Longshanks wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:47 am A lady friend of mine sent a surprise package that arrived today - signature required. From the topic of the original post, you can surmise what she sent. She knows I'm a Scotch fan but she doesn't know that I rarely stock anything but blue collar brands like Dewars, John Barr, J&B and the like. So she sent me these...
That Highland Park is gooood stuff. It also has the coolest bottle I have ever seen.
Yes, Highland has a peaty good flavor and the bottle is unique. Macallan is less peaty but excellent as well. And for the bourbon fans out there, the Glenrothes has a bourbon-esqe flavor you might like.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I hear scotch is good for constipation :lol: :lol: :lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Jwb68

Jlando19 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:32 am I posted this yesterday, but saw this thread this morning. I tried this for the first time in lieu of the 16 yr. The liquor store was out of the 16. I enjoy it a lot.

I got into peaty scotch after splitting a bottle of Laphroaig 10 with this older Frenchman that owned the restaurant I was cooking in at the time. We really built a rapport over my basic understanding of the French language and the fact that I'm Cajun and speak a very rugged version of French myself. I tapped out after the first bottle. He went on to finish half of a second. He then tried to convince me to let him drive me home. Lol. We eventually both got cabs. All that drinking over back wages I was owed. He cut me a check that night, out of his personal account and made sure that I was paid on time everytime there after! We're still good friends till this day, though I refrain from going into his restaurant. He refuses to let me pay. Good memories!
How does the 8 compare to the 16? I love the 16 and almost always have an open bottle.
Jlando19

Jwb68 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:01 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:32 am I posted this yesterday, but saw this thread this morning. I tried this for the first time in lieu of the 16 yr. The liquor store was out of the 16. I enjoy it a lot.

How does the 8 compare to the 16? I love the 16 and almost always have an open bottle.
My apologies. My poor grammar made it sound like I like the 16yr a lot. When I was actually referring to the 8yr. I've never had the 16yr. They were out the day I went in for it. Which reminds me, I should go see if it's been restocked.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Jwb68

The 16 is smoky and peaty. But rich also. I like it better than Laphroig. If you like Islay scotch and are ever in a Trader Joe’s that sells liquor they sell a house single malt called Finnlagen. They are quiet about where they get it but taste like really young Lagavulin to me.