The current environment . The golden age

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Its true , we are in the golden age of pipe smoking ... kind of .

From what Im gathering , it seems we are in near the same state as cigars were back in the 90's during the cigar " boom years " , which they were , Back then , cigars became a big thing and many brands were hard to get or unobtainable . Then came a shit ton of inferior product that people bought up as well , which was shocking to me to be honest . . It seems to be the way the online pipe tobacco situation is , in my eyes of course .

But is it really the golden age ?

It would depend on perspective I guess . Yes , there is a lot available on the web as far as product and thats a cool thing . I mean , click an icon and in the mail youll get what you ordered .
Contrast that with mail order from back in the day , which was very much available in the past to a point . I mean , in 1900 maybe not so much , though Im sure it existed .... but people had ice boxes back then , so .. lol . But by the 50's/60's a pipe smoker who was paying attention could either find mail order or work with a B&M

Hmmm ... the idea of B&Ms . That is something sorely lacking these days and the feel of the comradery has changed hugely without them . Of course , PSF is the next best thing but we are not in the golden age as far as all that goes . Typing online is fine but actually hanging with people in person is a whole other thing . Sure , communicating with people youd never meet far away is awesome but face to face ... you know what im saying

Along with the ability to order online is the ability to hoard easier , which is a good thing if you're a hoarder . So , its golden age to those who hoard and good for them because thats comradery :roll: [ sorry , couldnt help it ]

Guys and gals that are my age that have been at this for decades have a unique perspective , which of course I didn't see coming , in that we get to live in both the pipe smoking past and present and probably a limited future ... so , you younger guys .. this is the pipe smoking past and you get to experience the pipe smoking future .. good luck with that .

However , the pipe smoking future might be very bright !!!!

Imagine , you roll over after a 5 hour session with your " love robot " and she gets up to fill your pipe with a blend that she grew and processed herself [ possibly ] , we are assuming the government hasnt taken over everything and youre still able to smoke legally . She wont need a lighter because fire will shoot out her finger or God knows where else , light your pipe , go fix some food , which who knows what that will be like ...... beyond meat baby [ its just the beginning ] ... and put on your favorite hologram sport of what will probably be the equivalent of hybrid people that more resemble cartoons that spew sports and politics simultaneously [ oh joy ]

Id imagine , at that point , you will look back at today and either think its the golden age or an archaic shit show of Neanderthals

All that bs said ... all in all , it is a golden age because we get to live it today and we have all we need plus a whole lot more . Enjoy it while its here :buddy:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I know where my robot would emit flames from...
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:26 pm I know where my robot would emit flames from...
:lol:
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Big Iron
Member in Good Standing

:lol: well written indeed
"Keep your nose in the wind, your eye along the skyline"
Del Gue
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

All that prose about pipes & tobacco, and you guys focus on the robot. Yeesh. 😆
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
HSigurdsson

You had me at "love robot".
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:30 pm All that prose about pipes & tobacco, and you guys focus on the robot. Yeesh. 😆
Priorities
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
HSigurdsson

I don't know about currently but back in 2005-2006, pipe smoking was pretty hot. New pipe makers almost daily, online vendors galore, P&T magazine, GLP blends almost monthly, ebay ripe with thousands of pipes.....that was talked about as the "golden age" by many of the old timer pipers.
Sinse my resurgence into piping, im not as into the scene as I was back then.....2005-2017.
But every day im slipping back into the lifestyle.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I do believe that we are in a renaissance so to speak. But I really wish I could walk down the street or in a store with a pipe lit and no one would bat an eye. Especially, in my own workplace. I would kill for that.
ric03

Well, digital music gave purchasing new music a broader appeal than being mainly something young people did: vinyl has risen from it's own ashes and is cool and popular again. Perhaps vaping will have a similar knock on effect for pipe smoking? I see all sorts of people, of all ages, vaping nowadays. Pipe smoking also holds a similar past times/bulky collection appeal to vinyl. (Who could have predicted that in the age of zen minimalism, collecting unsightly stacks of vinyl records would become fashionable again?) ... A big reason for the 2005 golden age, also, was the LotR's movies and I believe there are more in the works (not meaning Amazon's show), so that could also kick start a new dawn. As vaping wasn't around when the original movies came out, and social media didn't exist back then, who knows where it could lead.