Tamper Making

ncrobb
Founding Member

Ooooooh, that picture makes it look like the feet are not square to the main body of the antler tip. I can assure you my OCD and Quailty background would not allow for that.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Richard Hanson

Hi Abe,

I started with the tamper on the left, below, but I don't like how the pick catches on the edge of the pipe bowl so I spent about an hour looking for a new tamper and selected the one on the left. I think it is bit heavy and it has a pick inside that might be a problem getting past security at the airport.

Down the road, I think I would like to try one of the briar tampers with a bevel on the top to function as a pick.

Warmest Regards,
Richard
Living the lesepfeife life.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Got to fool around for a little and made my first tamper. Using a dremel and carving knife. I really enjoyed it. I call it, the Drunken Bishop

ImageImageImage
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:04 pm Got to fool around for a little and made my first tamper. Using a dremel and carving knife. I really enjoyed it. I call it, the Drunken Bishop

ImageImageImage
Nice! Cool lighter too.
The Troll Whisperer
Silver
Certified Codger

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:04 pm Got to fool around for a little and made my first tamper. Using a dremel and carving knife. I really enjoyed it. I call it, the Drunken Bishop

ImageImageImage
Very nice! I whittle my own tampers, too. Can't beat the price. More interesting than golf tees.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

ImageImageImage
Bout damn time! :lol: sure you don't want to name it spear head?
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I tamp the edges toward the middle creating a dome if you will . . . for me most tampers have to wide of a head . . . I find the Czech tool a perfect tamping devise.

Yours has a nice character . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Thank you Gentleman! Drunken Bishop is much better @Mr Beardsley 🤣
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Silver
Certified Codger

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:04 pm Thank you Gentleman! Drunken Bishop is much better @Mr Beardsley 🤣
Concur on Drunken Bishop.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:55 am The magic PSF mayoral tamper forged by snake is in my possession . There can be only one
I have 3 Snake tampers. 😁
God and Texas!