Tamper Making

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

kschatey wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:06 pm I quite like this antler tamper that I snagged from The Phantom Box #2...

Otherwise, I typically use an aluminum pipe nail since I am cheap. ;)
That is a nice one. I snagged this one. Looks like some kind of horn. I call it a sheep’s foot.

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I use a Czech tool.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

kschatey wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:06 pm I quite like this antler tamper that I snagged from The Phantom Box #2...

Did I make this? What's the bottom look like?
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:24 pm

That is a nice one. I snagged this one. Looks like some kind of horn. I call it a sheep’s foot.

Beech wood. Did I make that one too?
HSigurdsson

Over the years I have whittled many hundreds of tampers while smoking outback. Just for fun, ive never sold one and only used a couple of them. I just use a stick from the woods, a Buck Stockman and a piece of sandpaper just to smooth them, not remove wood.
Ive misplaced or thrown away most of them. I haven't whittled one in years. As you see I experimented with shapes, inlay and decoration.
ImageImage
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:18 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:24 pm

Beech wood. Did I make that one too?
They were both in The Phantom Box Pass 2. From Wildcat I think. If you did they are very nice. And smooth
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

HSigurdsson wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:22 pm Over the years I have whittled many hundreds of tampers while smoking outback. Just for fun, ive never sold one and only used a couple of them. I just use a stick from the woods, a Buck Stockman and a piece of sandpaper just to smooth them, not remove wood.
Ive misplaced or thrown away most of them. I haven't whittled one in years. As you see I experimented with shapes, inlay and decoration.
ImageImage
That is awesome. I love seeing this stuff. Seems no rhyme or reason to the style. Just whatever you felt like carving?
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:25 pm
They were both in The Phantom Box Pass 2. From Wildcat I think. If you did they are very nice. And smooth
It's possible, the metal foot on the antler would be a giveaway, the Beech sheeps foot is familiar, been so many years, I might've made that too. I still have a piece of that Beech with the bark on it. If I run across pics of others I'll put them up. I usually just use my finger or a Brebbia pipe nail(you can slide 90% of it into a book of matches, convenient). Robb made a killer antler/cherrywood/copper tamper I keep at the house
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:43 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:25 pm
It's possible, the metal foot on the antler would be a giveaway, the Beech sheeps foot is familiar, been so many years, I might've made that too. I still have a piece of that Beech with the bark on it. If I run across pics of others I'll put them up. I usually just use my finger or a Brebbia pipe nail(you can slide 90% of it into a book of matches, convenient). Robb made a killer antler/cherrywood/copper tamper I keep at the house
Don’t forget pics of your finger too
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I have a box of them somewhere but these are the ones I have out ..

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.