Tamper Making

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Since I do not have the time to invest into making or modifying pipes, i’m gonna have a go at making tampers, maybe. Possibly. If I can squeze a free hour in the month.

So what do you look for in a tamper? Some people like them small, large, dainty, czech tools, domed. Do you have a preferance? Wood, metal?

And please post some of your tampers or show some that you have made or someone made for you. It can be an intricate zebra wood tamper or your most beloved golf tee.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

The magic PSF mayoral tamper forged by snake is in my possession . There can be only one
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:55 am The magic PSF mayoral tamper forged by snake is in my possession . There can be only one
Well, lets see it. And how much do you use it
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I like them along the lines of the one I sent you, but smaller so it actually fits lol. Simple tapered turning and then sand a flat to form a pick. With the right lathe they can be done equally easy from wood, copper, bronze, brass, aluminum
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:39 am I like them along the lines of the one I sent you, but smaller so it actually fits lol. Simple tapered turning and then sand a flat to form a pick. With the right lathe they can be done equally easy from wood, copper, bronze, brass, aluminum
Was thinking a dremel/rotary tool. It would also be useful for me in other wood carving hobbies I am attempting. I’m not going for uniformity, necessarily
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:42 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:39 am I like them along the lines of the one I sent you, but smaller so it actually fits lol. Simple tapered turning and then sand a flat to form a pick. With the right lathe they can be done equally easy from wood, copper, bronze, brass, aluminum
Was thinking a dremel/rotary tool. It would also be useful for me in other wood carving hobbies I am attempting. I’m not going for uniformity, necessarily
You could get the same sort of shape that way with a dremel and double cut carbide burrs. I'll text you a link to the ones like I have
kschatey

I quite like this antler tamper that I snagged from The Phantom Box #2...

Otherwise, I typically use an aluminum pipe nail since I am cheap. ;)
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

My out and about tamper
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:12 pm My out and about tamper
^ this

If I can’t find my spent 308

If I’m out and about then just a twig branch modification or a rock is popular pick of mine
rlucas
Member in Good Standing

I have a pipe nail somewhere. If I'm in the garage I have a supply of roofing nails that work
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.