Who digs small pipes?

Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

There's a place and time for each size. I went with this profile name because I initially liked the larger straight shank pipes. That's mainly what I remembered from the older magazine ads with Bing and crew. "The more briar the better" was my motto. However, after driving all over the country for business, I quickly found the smaller pipe was absolutely more comfy and functional than the larger counterparts. Sure... maybe it's only a 30 minute smoke, but I learned that it's easier to load a smaller pipe while driving, too. This Digby spent a lot of time on the road with me.

Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
HSigurdsson

Citizen B wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:38 pm I love a wee pipe. My favorite pipe is my Pug. Pack and go.
I have a Pug.....or a copy of a Pug.
Ill check it when I go in the house.
Ronv69
Founding Member

I have several small pipes that have their purpose, but I think big pipes smoke better. My only Dunhill is a 1950 group 3, but I get a surprisingly long smoke out of it. Was a gift from a good friend whose no longer with us.
God and Texas!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I found myself always purchaser bigger pipes, with at least 1.75 inch bowl depth. I always figured I could just pack less if I wanted a shorter smoke. Well that’s almost always what I was doing. When I first started pipesmoking, a MM General was my most used pipe. I had no kids, no yard, no worries and I would just sit and smoke like 5 bowls a day out of that thing trying anything and everything.

These days I find myself always busy, only ever get time to sit when I go to my parents house. And then I smoke a cigar with my Dad. Anyway, my technique got better and I realized that I favored a 30-45 minute smoke. This is usually the amount of time I have to smoke, or enjoy a smoke for. Even if I had endless hours, I prefer to just reload or change blends after about 45 minutes.

Smaller pipes meant, lighter weight, which helps with my TMJ issues. I can’t smoke the hog legs man. Always on my feet moving and I prefer to clench. I was steered towards Bruno Nuttens pipes by @Mr Beardsley and I purchased my first one recently and it is the perfect pipe. Small, light as hell and comfortable. I now browse the websites looking and waiting for more Nuttens pipes in my budget to strike. If I keep waiting, i’ll start commissioning them. The french know pipes better than anyone. Period. Even though Bruno is from Belgium, he lives in France and uses French equipment and French stummels. He learned from French Master Carver Pierre Morel. I can go on and on but I have narrowed down I prefer Nuttens pipes.

Besides that, its Ropp all the way for Factory pipes. Vintage Ropps are abundant on eBay, and the new ones on SPC are vintage French Stemmels for a good price.

With that said. I really dig smaller pipes. The lighter the better. But i’ll still smoke the hell out of my Grabows and such. But now I know what i’m looking for in all future purchases.

ImageImageImage
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:42 pm I found myself always purchaser bigger pipes, with at least 1.75 inch bowl depth. I always figured I could just pack less if I wanted a shorter smoke. Well that’s almost always what I was doing. When I first started pipesmoking, a MM General was my most used pipe. I had no kids, no yard, no worries and I would just sit and smoke like 5 bowls a day out of that thing trying anything and everything.

These days I find myself always busy, only ever get time to sit when I go to my parents house. And then I smoke a cigar with my Dad. Anyway, my technique got better and I realized that I favored a 30-45 minute smoke. This is usually the amount of time I have to smoke, or enjoy a smoke for. Even if I had endless hours, I prefer to just reload or change blends after about 45 minutes.

Smaller pipes meant, lighter weight, which helps with my TMJ issues. I can’t smoke the hog legs man. Always on my feet moving and I prefer to clench. I was steered towards Bruno Nuttens pipes by @Mr Beardsley and I purchased my first one recently and it is the perfect pipe. Small, light as hell and comfortable. I now browse the websites looking and waiting for more Nuttens pipes in my budget to strike. If I keep waiting, i’ll start commissioning them. The french know pipes better than anyone. Period. Even though Bruno is from Belgium, he lives in France and uses French equipment and French stummels. He learned from French Master Carver Pierre Morel. I can go on and on but I have narrowed down I prefer Nuttens pipes.

Besides that, its Ropp all the way for Factory pipes. Vintage Ropps are abundant on eBay, and the new ones on SPC are vintage French Stemmels for a good price.

With that said. I really dig smaller pipes. The lighter the better. But i’ll still smoke the hell out of my Grabows and such. But now I know what i’m looking for in all future purchases.

ImageImageImage
That one is super nice. More of his heritage pipes are on my radar for distant future possibilities because his stems are out of this world
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Longshanks wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:47 pm

One of my few regrets in life is that I have yet to visit the Corn Palace.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I've gone through my group 1 phase many years ago, I like them but they don't satisfy my smoking duration. I think I have a group 1 Dunhill squat bulldog floating around the house somewhere, it was a rare shape so I kept it.
The Troll Whisperer
HSigurdsson

Tsal wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:09 am I've gone through my group 1 phase many years ago, I like them but they don't satisfy my smoking duration. I think I have a group 1 Dunhill squat bulldog floating around the house somewhere, it was a rare shape so I kept it.
I had 8 or so Dunhills at one time.
I bought them all within a couple years, smoked them for a few years and sold them for a huge profit. :)
I hit the Dunhill craze of 2010. :)
I haven't looked at prices in years so the craze may still be going. I almost felt bad selling someone a pipe with a charred rim, chewed stem and the ghosts of Captain Black himself for MORE than a brand new Dunhill......ALMOST felt bad.
I only kept this one that is a birth year pipe and was a gift.
ric03

HSigurdsson wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:12 pm I personally like large pipes.
They hold more tobacco and I like 1 hour plus smoking sessions. I will post a picture of all my tiny pipes later, but I have a question.
Back in the day (2006-2017) I was one of those guys who bought a lot of pipes. I was well into the high grade pipe scene.
At one time I had 7-8 Dunhill pipes. Over the years I have dold all but one, a 1971 "Duhill Shell" which is my birth year.
The pipe says it is a group 2.
It is a tad less than 4.5 inches long and the bowl fits my index finger if I push it in. This is a VERY small pipe.
My question is, does anyone have a group 1 Dunhill?
I would be interested to see how much smaller they are.
I have an idea this pipe might be stamped wrong.
I cannot imagine Dunhill making a smaller pipe.
This "group 2" is laughably small.
Here is a "normal" size pipe...a 6 inch long Peterson along with the Dunhill.
I like smaller pipes, I used to even use a MM mini in the pub or on my travels. I tend to use medium ones through the day and mainly like big pipes for a good evening smoke. I used to fill my 616 Siena with Nightcap or 1792 and an hour later I'd be about as relaxed as it's possible to be legally (especially if a bottle or two of ale accompanied me too).

I think small pipes definitely have their place. If I've been to an appointment or have taken the dog to the park, it's nice to just be able to have a quick smoke. They take less packing, are easier to transport and I feel less conspicuous smoking one in public (whereas if you're sat in a comfy chair, it looks more natural to have a nice big bowl and a little pipe doesn't quite look right then).
Ronv69
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:42 pm I found myself always purchaser bigger pipes, with at least 1.75 inch bowl depth. I always figured I could just pack less if I wanted a shorter smoke. Well that’s almost always what I was doing. When I first started pipesmoking, a MM General was my most used pipe. I had no kids, no yard, no worries and I would just sit and smoke like 5 bowls a day out of that thing trying anything and everything.

ImageImageImage
I have a bunch of Ropp Cherrywoods they are heavy (made from a section of tree limb, but they smoke great.) I have a couple of the vintage Ropps too.
God and Texas!