Bowl Burnout.

saulgoldie

I have a very nice Tim West horn that is showing a dark spot on the bottom of the curve. It sometimes gets hot. I am afraid that it might burn through. What is the fix for this? Thanks for any wisdom.

Saul
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

saulgoldie wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:24 pm I have a very nice Tim West horn that is showing a dark spot on the bottom of the curve. It sometimes gets hot. I am afraid that it might burn through. What is the fix for this? Thanks for any wisdom.

Saul
I'd ream or sand to bare briar at least in the corresponding area inside the chamber. If it's showing signs of burn out fill it with pipe mud or one of the fancy silica based bowl coatings and hope for the best
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have gotten estates that have had hot spots when smoked. There will be dodgy places in the bowl. I have painted the spots with corn syrup and shaken cigar ash in the bowl. I let that "harden up" and smoke it. The corn syrup and cigar ash will give some protective cake in that place in the bowl. FWIW, I have had 100% success rate with this, but maybe I have just been lucky...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:46 am I have gotten estates that have had hot spots when smoked. There will be dodgy places in the bowl. I have painted the spots with corn syrup and shaken cigar ash in the bowl. I let that "harden up" and smoke it. The corn syrup and cigar ash will give some protective cake in that place in the bowl. FWIW, I have had 100% success rate with this, but maybe I have just been lucky...
Exactly what I would have said.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
HSigurdsson

Pipe mud does wonders.
Cigar or pipe ash with a little water, untill a thick paste.
Spead on the hot spot and let dry....repeat if necessary.
Of course ream the bowl a bit in that area first.
Ive done this several times with great results.