Whats the current best pipe selling method?

HSigurdsson

I have a bunch of pipes im looking to get rid of.
The last I knew(2017), selling in "lots" was the prefered way if you had some good names mixed in.
If you had a bunch of no name "Algerian" briar pipes you could expect a low price. But if you had some Kaywoodies, Comoy, GBD, Dr Grabow, Sasini, Ascorti.....mixed in, you could maybe have a bidding war.
I really dont want to have to mail pipes all over the globe and I dont want to spend hours on ebay listing pipes.
Do you think having a pipe lot of names like GBD, Comoy, Dunhill, Larrysson, Kaywoodie, Rad Davis, Sasini, Falcon....mixed with a few Carey Magic Inch, Dr Grabow, Medico, Yorkshire...would be a good idea?
Or should I sell the ones like Dunhill, Pietenpauw, Larrysson, Rad Davis, GBD, Comoy...individually?
Then sell the rest as a lot?
Ugg, these pipes are never smoked and due to age and Vulcanite stems, they get uglier over time.
Im talking a group of maybe 70 or so pipes.
HSigurdsson

The GBD and Comoys are all pre 1960s and in good shape. The GBD all have the brass inserts and the Comoys have the three C design.
These were highly sought back "in the day".
Last edited by HSigurdsson on Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Middle Earth

I would one off the higher-end pipes and do a lot or a couple/few lots
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I would do one high end pipe per lot.
The Troll Whisperer
HSigurdsson

Middle Earth wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:07 pm I would one off the higher-end pipes and do a lot or a couple/few lots
Thats probably the best way.
My initial thought was to put them all in one group and put a reserve of $500. I would not be sad to get that amount if I could just send in one box. :)
Ohhhhthe dilemma!!
Dang, the "almost" unsmoked Larrysson is worth that!!
Boy have my likes/dislikes changed over the years.
HSigurdsson

Tsal wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:11 pm I would do one high end pipe per lot.
Thats a good idea.
I knew I hung out here for a good reason!!
Use one high end as bait. :)
HSigurdsson

By the way, I do plan on offering them here first at CUT RATE prices. Stay tuned.
Middle Earth

HSigurdsson wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:13 pm
Middle Earth wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:07 pm I would one off the higher-end pipes and do a lot or a couple/few lots
Thats probably the best way.
My initial thought was to put them all in one group and put a reserve of $500. I would not be sad to get that amount if I could just send in one box. :)
Ohhhhthe dilemma!!
Dang, the "almost" unsmoked Larrysson is worth that!!
Boy have my likes/dislikes changed over the years.
Same on my preferences. I am in the same boat but if I going to take a hit, I am considering top 1/3 to SP and the rest to Blue Room. I just want it done and not an EBay fan. May send some high-end pipes to Pipe Stud. Regardless, just want to move on a keep a nice one month set.🤔
Middle Earth

HSigurdsson wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:16 pm By the way, I do plan on offering them here first at CUT RATE prices. Stay tuned.
Same here. I have some that I expect will get some good homes and don’t mind selling cheap here. But I will wait until you are done with your sale.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

HSigurdsson wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:16 pm By the way, I do plan on offering them here first at CUT RATE prices. Stay tuned.
I would just post the whole lot picture here and people can message you for details on specific pipes.