Razor Blades.

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:07 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:30 pm
Tsal wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:02 pm I've had this brush and stand for about 8 years now,
Doug Erwin made it for me. Nothing fancy here in terms of grooming. I've never bought or used disposable razors.
Once I get my new lathe I want to make some of those razor handles and brushes
I’ll take a razor stand. My one from Amazon is peeling like crazy.
I'll have to look at stands and see what I can do
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:02 pm
Tsal wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:49 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:07 am Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, I’m free at last!
I take it you shaved?
No
Free from what?
God and Texas!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Ronv69 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:52 am
Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:02 pm
Tsal wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:49 pm

I take it you shaved?
No
Free from what?
He's free from the oppression and manipulation of the Shaving Syndicate.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Jlando19

Citizen B wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:16 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:55 pm
Citizen B wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:15 pm

That is very interesting. Is it Japanese?
Yeah! It’s made by a company that makes a lot of edged things called KAI. I was going to save up for a custom hand forged one but I reeled in my excitement on that idea. This one was spendy as it is. It’s crazy how close I can get with it. I have another traditional straight razor and a safety razor like the one @Tsal posted with a very similar stand. I also have two electric razors for when I gotta clean up quick and don’t have the time to go through the whole ritual.
Can you please share a link to this? I am very intrigued but I am not exactly sure what I am looking at. Thank you in advance. :king:
They don’t have the exact same one anymore but this is similar. I bought mine in person at Merz the last time I was in Chicago.

https://www.smallflower.com/products/fe ... 6451510423

These are nice also.
https://www.cutthroatclub.com/products/ ... nese-razor
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ah. So.

These are very nice and I know the Japanese quality will last a lifetime, but I am not interested in spending more on my razor than I spent on my Opinel.

I am not against No. 2, not by a long shot. I don't want to spend $200 bucks on a razor. What if next week I decide to grow a beard?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
montag

Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:55 pm What if next week I decide to grow a beard?
Has that logic slowed any of us down getting “just one more” pipe? I think not sir. I have a $$$$ feather razor collecting dust thanks to COVID; that’s when I committed the the bearded lifestyle. I think my beard is dapper but my kids say I’m full on robber baron look.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

montag wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:01 pm
Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:55 pm What if next week I decide to grow a beard?
Has that logic slowed any of us down getting “just one more” pipe? I think not sir. I have a $$$$ feather razor collecting dust thanks to COVID; that’s when I committed the the bearded lifestyle. I think my beard is dapper but my kids say I’m full on robber baron look.
Do you enjoy restoring pipes?

This is not a random question. I am asking this for a reason related to what we are talking about but I don't want to type it all out if you are not. :lurk:
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
montag

Citizen B wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:09 pm
montag wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:01 pm
Do you enjoy restoring pipes?

This is not a random question. I am asking this for a reason related to what we are talking about but I don't want to type it all out if you are not. :lurk:
Nope. I haven't been bitten by the restoration bug.