The Service Station

Tsal
Forum Decorum

Here in New Jersey gas station attendants are a common every day thing. They check oil and clean windows if you ask. It is against the law to pump your own gas here.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I was at a self serve station one time, and a woman who was 70(ish) and dressed nicely was just sobbing standing by the pump.

I asked if I could help her with anything, and she said she was a recent widow and she had never pumped gas before. Her husband had always done it and he had kept her car filled up for her. The full serve station in town was closed and she did not know what she was supposed to do.

I showed her how to operate the pump, but I claim it did not "stick." I filled her tank for her.

I have wondered what happened to her - if she ever got to the point she could navigate the self self on her own.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I miss “service” stations, especially when it’s raining
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:38 pm I was at a self serve station one time, and a woman who was 70(ish) and dressed nicely was just sobbing standing by the pump.

I asked if I could help her with anything, and she said she was a recent widow and she had never pumped gas before. Her husband had always done it and he had kept her car filled up for her. The full serve station in town was closed and she did not know what she was supposed to do.

I showed her how to operate the pump, but I claim it did not "stick." I filled her tank for her.

I have wondered what happened to her - if she ever got to the point she could navigate the self self on her own.
Sounds like my Mom . After my step dad had passed at some point she went to fill the car but realized she hadnt done it in so long and she couldn't figure out the new modern touch pumps . A man helped her and shes got it now . Heck , I would have shown her if I knew she didnt know but that was something my step dad did , of course . I dont think Ive ever had jennifer pump gas . I mean , she knows how , but meaning when we are together . Lol , Ive never seen my wife pump gas
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ric03

Some good photos of 1930s America here:

Ronv69
Founding Member

There was a service station in my neighborhood in Houston that had an attendant until about 2004. I'm pretty sure it was the last one in Houston by a long shot.
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ric03 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:53 am Some good photos of 1930s America here:

Id have been Haging out in the Zep Diner :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ric03

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:28 pm
ric03 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:53 am Some good photos of 1930s America here:

Id have been Haging out in the Zep Diner :thumbs:
I think the weird thing is I'd probably find all the smoke in diners etc. offputting now I'm used to them being smoke free! :shock: