Its about freaking time !

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I'm not the best knife sharpener, I'm not . On a Stone , I can do the best I can do but I wanted better . I purchased the piece of shit work sharp "impostor" sharpener and it's a joke . The degree settings on it don't work because of the difference of the width of the blade you have set in it . Anyway , it blows and I bought this silly thing to try because it was 5 times less than the work sharp and it has degree settings that I thought may actually work being it sets a degree and you come straight down on it ... no room for variances
So , I just got it and it's a wizard . Correct degrees and then some stroping on the back side of my leather belt .... and blamO ! Close to razor sharp
I love it ! It does what it says it will do
It's about frigging time

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:50 pm I'm not the best knife sharpener, I'm not . On a Stone , I can do the best I can do but I wanted better . I purchased the piece of shit work sharp "impostor" sharpener and it's a joke . The degree settings on it don't work because of the difference of the width of the blade you have set in it . Anyway , it blows and I bought this silly thing to try because it was 5 times less than the work sharp and it has degree settings that I thought may actually work being it sets a degree and you come straight down on it ... no room for variances
So , I just got it and it's a wizard . Correct degrees and then some stroping on the back side if my leather belt .... and blamO ! Close to razor sharp
I love it ! It does what it says it will do
It's about frigging time

Hell I've thrown more than one of those away and had I thought of it as an ideal solution for you, I'd have shot one your way. Glad you found success
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I am hard on everything I own, especially knife blade edges. The quickest solution that works for me is one of these
https://www.worksharptools.com/
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Plinsc wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:30 pm I am hard on everything I own, especially knife blade edges. The quickest solution that works for me is one of these
https://www.worksharptools.com/
I think the powered one is probably good ... is that the one you have/use ?
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

This is what I had bought a while back . I don't recommend it at all but maybe someone figured out the magic missing equation of the degree setting per blade . If so , youre slicker than I am :thumbs:

Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Yes powered one
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Plinsc wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:48 pm Yes powered one
Yeah man , those look bad ass :thumbs: ..... its probably what Ill end up with . But for now , this cheap thing actually works and works rather well
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:57 pm
Yeah man , those look bad ass :thumbs: ..... its probably what Ill end up with . But for now , this cheap thing actually works and works rather well
The angle will still be off on the electric model. There's no way to put an arbitrary mark on a post at 20 degrees and have it be accurate on different height blades. Don't waste the money
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:09 pm
The angle will still be off on the electric model. There's no way to put an arbitrary mark on a post at 20 degrees and have it be accurate on different height blades. Don't waste the money
I wish I could just do it by hand on stones and get it where I want . I just dont have the vision and feel for it . When I was a kid / Teen , I could get a wicked edge on my sharp finger but the older I get the lamer I get at sharpening . I never " knew " what I was doing but just had a feel for it . So chalk that up to one of the few things I could do better young :)
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:32 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:09 pm

I wish I could just do it by hand on stones and get it where I want . I just dont have the vision and feel for it . When I was a kid / Teen , I could get a wicked edge on my sharp finger but the older I get the lamer I get at sharpening . I never " knew " what I was doing but just had a feel for it . So chalk that up to one of the few things I could do better young :)
Ain't no shame in using a sharpening system. I do. Don't care who likes it or doesn't. Just have to get an angle gauge in order to truly be accurate